10 Gallon Paludarium A Tribute

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com

Ashes to ashes and lizards down the toilet. Poor lizard stopped eating after she laid eggs. So I guess I am going to have to do paludarium as a tribute.
Here is a HOB filter I have.

Yeah see whats missing the tube thing.... I can get the impeller cheaply but not the tube. any way I would like to do a water fall. Anyone ever try that with a HOB?
Also what type of lid do I wan for a paludarium? not a screen lid like this one right?

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
how tall do u want the waterfall, id just experiment with tubes and see how far up it can pull water

sorry about the lizard

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
You can buy a Whisper i10 or i20 at petsmart that would act like a water fall and a filter. As long as the entry grates are in the water, the water will spill out the top. This is what I did for my FBT paludarium. Until I took a band saw to the plastic covering to make a powerhead.

As for the lid, you can just buy a screen top and tape sheet vynil to 3/4 of the top, leaving a flap of vynil on the other 1/4 of the top. With this, you can get good humidity and you can close the vynil so that it is like having a glass top.

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
I like your thinking with the vynil. I am all about saving money. For inhabitants I am thinking about Firebelly newts. Would rather have something smaller though can you think of anything?

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
oh.. the height of the waterfall. I would like it to be half the height of the tank. so waterfall from the top of the tank to the just above halfway to a stream to the main body of water. I am going to see what I can do with clay. Might even opt for crawdads I don't really know yet. Ideas/examples of cheap solutions would be appreciated.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
You can go get styrafoam, cut and shave it to the shape you want, cover it all in black silicone, put some gravel or chunks of wood or even moss on the sides, and use natural sand for the inside of the trough where your "river" will run through. I suggest for the top having a 2 inch deep lake so the filter's output will hit the lake and then have the river run from the lake to the actual water.

I have thought of this idea for a long time, in fact, I just inspired myself.

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Well I got started on this I had a styrofoam shipping cooler. I carved away on it. Only took me an hour or so. The black silicone idea is great but what about something cheaper. Any ideas.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
The black silicone is just an aesthetic thing, so if the sand falls away, the white styrafoam won't show under it. You can use clear siliscone just as well.

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
like I said I was thinking about the cost. I will probably need 3-4 tubes to cover this thing. But that is only $20 but if you can suggest anything cheaper that would be helpful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store