Something on GoldFish's Tail-end.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcdanielnc89

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Kansas City, MO, USA
Real Name
Nate
There is this HUGE bump on my Goldfish. It's been there for probably 6-8 months. I didn't think it was anything, but here lately its been bothering me. I know it has to be bothering the fish. Does anyone know what it is or could be?

Here's a picture and a video. You will prolly see it better if you watch the video though.

VIDEO:
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TL9_H4FBBhA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TL9_H4FBBhA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
You need to use the html code of youtube when embedding, not the link itself. I can't see the bump clearly but it looks like tumor or infected wound to me. Can you get a clear pic of it?

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Not neccessarily. it may very well be a tumor as that is what it looks like. Tumors are damaging, yes, but that doesn't mean they kill quickly. If it is a tumor , i'm not really sure but thats what it looks like, you may have to do some research on how to remove it and also research eugenol for fish anesthetics. If you have any questions about the removal, PM me. I have successfully done MINOR surgery on a fish before. I would advise you to take him to your local vet and see if they can help. Some vets will actually help you with fish problems.

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Sadly from the look of the bump, removal may just cause the fish to die earlier due to secondary infections or not being able to swim correctly since it's on such a vital part of its tail.

mcdanielnc89

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Kansas City, MO, USA
Real Name
Nate
Well he seems fine. it's not appearing to be really bothering him. I'd rather leave it there until he dies rather tan get it removed and him die the next day. it's been there for over 8 months i know.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
mcdaniel, you seem to be a little confused about tumors. goldfish are extremely prone to tumors, and these days they are one of the easiest problems to fix. it's a very simple surgery, similar to getting a wart removed for humans. the vet simply sedates the fish, slices the tumor off, and applies an antibacterial to prevent infection. it usually doesn't take more than an hour.
however, it's extremely important to get tumors removed. although they are often benign, in goldfish there's a higher risk that they could be cancerous. the longer they stay on the fish, the higher the chance that a cancerous tumor could spread to other parts of the body.
you can use aquavetmed.info to find a fish vet in your area. if you're lucky enough to live near a veterinary school, you can often have the tumor removed very cheaply or even for free, since the students will use the opportunity to practice their techniques. but even if you need to go to a private vet, the surgery shouldn't cost much at all. plus, when the tumor is removed they will send a sample to a lab to check for cancer.
i would strongly urge you to take your fish in to a vet to have it removed. especially since goldfish can live for 20 years - who knows how large it will grow, and whether or not it is cancerous. if it were a dog or cat, or a human relative, you wouldn't hesitate to have it checked out and removed if possible. i think it is just as important for fish. it's a very simple procedure, very quick, and with clean water and good food, your fish should recover in no time.
you can even watch a video slideshow of a tumor removal surgery here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3214/04.html
click on "play video" on the bottom left.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store