My Knight Gobies spawned!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
I noticed my knight gobies shared a cave since yesterday morning (when they normally would chased each other out). Today, I peek into that cave, and found that they have spawned!

Now, I don't want the baby gobies, but I know that none can survive in my tank anyway (canister filtered, molly and f8 puffer swimming around).

Here're some photos: (that's the cave; it's just a shell propped on stones)

I edited the above photo so the eggs are more visible:

The eggs are sort of hanging from the roof of the cave, like a curtain. The eggs would sway as the goby inside fans them.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Nice pics and congratulations! In the meantime, I forwarded your request to the SW moderators to have your other thread deleted on your request.:)

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
Nice pics and congratulations! In the meantime, I forwarded your request to the SW moderators to have your other thread deleted on your request.:)
Thanks. BTW, I think the eggs are coated on the roof of the cave as well as on the aquarium glass, like in this diagram:

MsPuff

aquaholic
May 28, 2008
Saint John, NB Canada
I wish my knight gobies would have spawned! Congrats!

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
The eggs hatched! I check on my tank just now (11pm) with a torchlight, and I saw my molly zooming around, and when I took a closer look, There were hundreds of fries floating around with the current. The molly was trying to eat them (today is starvation day for my tank), but couldn't get to most of them as they 'bounced' away like a ghost shrimp would. They fries were like 5 mm long, as thin as thread. They look like mini tadpole. Some were struggling against the suction of the circulation pump and canister filter intake. As I said, I won't be taking care of them, so fate will decide whether they live or die. But if they manage live to a visible/larger size, then I will take care of them.

MsPuff

aquaholic
May 28, 2008
Saint John, NB Canada
That's awesome, I bet the mollies will love having the live food! Just the same way my knight gobies loved having the molly fry to snack on. Ahh the circle of life, I've never taken care of any of my fry, I just let nature take it's course.

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
Well, this morning, I checked my tank using a torchlight, and canot see any fry. Some may be hiding in the dense fake plant in the tank, but I doubt any can survive. But at least, this confirms that the two knight gobies I have are a male and a female (I have been wondering anout their gender ever since I got them).

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
Today my gobies spawned AGAIN. Don't know why are they so horny these days.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store