Bull Mullet in a pond...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mullet

Registered Member
Dec 13, 2002
Visit site
Hi,
I am planing to put Bull Mullet into a pond at home, so i am wondering what tips and hints people have about feeding Bull Mullet and how salty the pond should be (and how much salt to add to 4000L)?
Thanks for any tips...
Mark

Sharyl C

Mola and Me
The mullet that I have dealt with are big on grazing on algae so you may want to allow the pond to grow a healthy coat of it first. I would also feed them 2-3 times/day with spirulina flake or sm. pellets and another type of meaty small food. They have fairly high metabolisms so it can be a challenge to keep them at a good weight, but it can be done. They are also jumpers so watch out.

As far as adding salt, I would shoot for 10-20ppm for these guys (not sure what that is specific gravity). Watch out for evaporation to - that will send your salt up pretty quickly.

Here's the formula we use for adding salt (instant ocean) to our aquariums:

3.8 X gallons X desired ppm increase = g of salt

also 1 kilo = 2.2 lbs

For example: if you had a 200 gallon aquarium that was at 15 ppm and you wanted to raise it to 20 ppm this is what you math would look like:

3.8 X 200 gallon X 5 ppm = 3800 g = 3.8 kg X 2.2 lbs/kg= 8.36 lbs

Hope this helps,
Sharyl

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store