HELP!!! 6" comet tried to eat an otto, STUCK

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
I had two otto's in our goldfish tank forever, now our 6" comet tried to eat an otto. the tail is still sticking out of his mouth. I think its stuck. his gills are getting red, and otto's have spines!!!

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
Well the otos probably already dead. You could try catching the goldfish, open his mouth and clipping the oto into pieces with a pair of siccors. A pair of scissors and tweezers should work.

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Listen. Be patient. i understand you are desperate. Try to remove the otto from its mouth as gently as possible. Otherwise, I hate to tell you it may be impossible without seriously harming your fish.

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
the bad thing is the otto's body is pretty deep in. I cant get anything in farther than his lips.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
You be able to reach the oto with a skinny pair of scissors. clip off the otos fins and in pieces if you can. The goldfish will be able to either swallow the rest or spit it out. You don't have much options on this. Is this 65gallon tank with goldfish?

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Yes it is the 65, I have a kind of skinny pair of hair trimming scissors, hopefully that will work.

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Jason tried to see into his mouth with a tooth pick to see where to cut the otto and he pushed it in farther. Now it is all the way in his mouth. He said he could see where the spine was in his mouth because it was bleeding. Do you think he will be okay now?

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
poor oto.. stupid goldfish. Don't let that goldfish breed please.

Do several large water changes this week and feed sparingly for a few days to allow the fish to heal. He will probably heal up without a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store