HELP!!! 6" comet tried to eat an otto, STUCK

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
I had two otto's in our goldfish tank forever, now our 6" comet tried to eat an otto. the tail is still sticking out of his mouth. I think its stuck. his gills are getting red, and otto's have spines!!!

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Jason was looking in his mouth with a tooth pick and pushed it in his mouth on accident. Now the otto is all the way in his mouth. He could see that his mouth was bleeding where the spine went into it. Do you think he will be okay.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I'd sacrifice the oto... try to cut the spines with manicure scissors and pull the body out with tweezers. That way you have a small chance of saving the comet. I'm really sorry about what happened to your fish...

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Here's my advice - Net the fish and remove him from the tank. Sedate him with clove oil until his gill movements are slowed and you can handle him. Use a wet, soft towel or washcloth to hold him with just his mouth out of the water. Best if there are two of you for this, one to hold and one to look in his mouth. Carefully open his mouth and look inside. Likely, he's already swallowed the otto by this point, but if not you may need to get some nail scissors and cut the otto in half, then use long tweezers to pull out the pieces. Sterilize both the nail scissors and tweezers first with alcohol or by boiling. Return the fish to a tub of clean water and watch him to ensure his recovery. Then return him to the tank.
Best of luck!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com