Difference between "false" julii and julii cory?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theredchaser

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
Hi, I had a question for the cory experts. I bought a group of julii cories and noticed that they all school together except for 1. The one that doesn't school is a size bigger (about 1/2 inch) Could it be that this one is a different species? Maybe false julii? :confused:

The markings look the same. The only difference is that the black on the dorsal fin is a little bit more faded and has a couple of spots near the base whereas the other ones don't.

The loner cory is the one on the top in the pic.

cory.JPG

Last edited:

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
no one likes to hang out with the fat kid. Lol how long have you had them? Depends on the cory, maybe he doesn't want to hang out with a crowd. Cories are "specail" fish, they have a werid behavior and do strange things. I have some bronze cories and some fake plants, and while all the cories are swimming around or in the cave work, theres usally a lone cory sitting above all of them on one of the fake flowers. Not sure if it's the same one, and I'm sure it's not the pattern thing. As long as it's close cories will school with it. So give him some time maybe he'll warm up.

It's not up to the school to get him, it's up to him to join the school. Also check if he's sick/injured. A sick cory won't try to keep up with th school.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The pattern on the head of the real julii's is very finely spotted. On the trilineatus it is squiggly (can't remember what the pattern is called but it is squiggly lines). It could be the only female in the bunch since it is bigger. All cories do not school together all the time.

Your picture is not the clearest but the biggest fish definitely looks like a false julii. I would, however like to see a clearer picture of the smaller ones.

theredchaser

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
The top one is the big cory and the bottom are the other ones.

They were all from the same tank but they weren't really moving so I couldn't tell if they were schooling together or not.

bigcory.JPG littlecory.JPG

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Good pictures! They both look like false julii's (trilli's) to me. I also have one that doesn't have a lot of black in the dorsal fin. Give them time and I think you'll see they'll mix together more. Sometimes they just go off for a while and do their own thing. They look very healthy though!!

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
I have four juliis of the same species, and one bandit cory that is larger (mistakenly sold earlier as a julii). Oddly enough the Bandit and Juliis school together just fine.

There was one of the Juliis with darker strips and a thicker mid band/stripe on his side and a tiny bit larger than the juliis but still way smaller than the Bandit. It seemed he stood outside of the group and observed them instead of schooling. Like a shepard and a flock.

He wouldnt school but he paid intent interest, and when the others would try to school with him then he would just swim off. Very entertaining.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store