DIY 15 Gallon Double Decker Build Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adkins.ITS

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
Ft. Wanye, IN
Alright well I managed to get my concept drawn tonight and thought I would post up the start of my build journal.

Here it is:

I have been trying to plan a stand build for a while now but just couldnt figure out what I wanted. Well finally got it together. 2 - 15 gallon tanks. The top will be my heavily planted tank with no resrictions on inhabitants. The lower will be my planted shrimp breeding tank. It will be display quality as well Im just tired of trying to keep them safe from others while there still very small. I know some one will probably bring up the weight issue for the upper tank not having a support on the front, trust me the problem has been addressed and accounted for. Will be built from 2x4's, 2x6's, 1/4" basswood sheet, and some steel reinforcement inside.

There is a lower cabinet door with internal hinges, and the covers above each tank will be held to brackets on the inside using earth magnets, so instead of having to hinge it out of the way you can just take it off completely.

Setup:

Filtration - They will both have there own Cascade 500 canister filter.

Co2 & Ferts- Upper will have Co2 based on ppm and EI dosing. Lower will have Co2 controlled by a pH monitor/controller and no ferts.

Lighting - Lighting for the upper tank is still in the air right now(probably a 70w 10k MH if I can get away with it. While the lower tank will have a 40W 6,5k/10K with lunar lights. All on seperate timers.

Stand - Im going to run multiple out lets through out. Lighting will be mounted to structure above for easy access. The tank offset to the front will also allow plenty of room for all cords and hoses to run behind the tanks down to the cabinet that will house the filters and Co2 tank. Im also going to use one peice glass tops for the tanks as well. The tanks are going to be drilled for an inlet and outlet for the filters too.

Any questions, comments, and all criticizm welcome!

zachjohnson65

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Staunton, VA
Looks great. Is 7" enough room to work on the lower tank? I would advise strapping the unit to studs in the wall just in case it starts to wobble with Heavy footsteps,KIDS, Earthquake.

Adkins.ITS

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
Ft. Wanye, IN
zachjohnson65 said:
Looks great. Is 7" enough room to work on the lower tank?I would advise strapping the unit to studs in the wall just in case it starts to wobble with Heavy footsteps,KIDS, Earthquake.
I am going to anchor it to the wall for sure.

i would drop the lower tank and give your self more room to get into the tanks.
In response to zach and Mgamer - You know I've been thinkin about that a lot....well more than anything at this point. I really dont wanna change my proportions because I think thats what really makes this look like a well balanced tank. I will give up comfort for looks, though I am worried it won't be enough room. :irked:

Thank you both for the quick responses.

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
So the bottom tank is going to be supporting the weight of the top tank ... not sure I would have the courage to try that out.

What kind of structure are you thinking about? Maybe you could do another layout drawing of that ... would love to see what you have in mind - specially in the 7" space / support for the top tank.

Adkins.ITS

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
Ft. Wanye, IN
So the bottom tank is going to be supporting the weight of the top tank ... not sure I would have the courage to try that out.

What kind of structure are you thinking about? Maybe you could do another layout drawing of that ... would love to see what you have in mind - specially in the 7" space / support for the top tank.
No the lower tank will not support the upper tank it well have structure under it. I'm really going to try and get the structure draw soon....possibly this weekend.

Ajordan

Se?or Member - Get it?
Nov 21, 2006
Massachusetts
really cool idea! It seems like you have a lot to work out yet but any plans for what is going in them? Are you going to do two different biotopes or maybe even one marine and one fresh? Some really cool visual possibilities there...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store