Finally got my api master test kit... results... need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Ok so i am sooo glad i finally got my master test kit... but im not really that happy with my results.... so here we go, im gunna post my results for all 4 of my tanks.... any suggestions welcome.

30g Community tank
pH-6.4 ---- i know it should be at 7, just did a water change 4 days ago 2
Amm- 0
N2-0
N3-40 -----what to do about this??

100g South American Cichlid tank
pH- 7.4-7.6
Amm-0
N2-0
N3-20

125g Semi-Aggressive Planted tank (just set up 2-3 weeks ago)
pH-7.2
Amm- 0
N2- 0.25 -----help?
N3-10 -----??

48g Goldfish tank
pH 7.4-7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

My biggest question is with the 30g. we just checked it with our regular API pH test kit yesterday and it read 7. Now the new test kit is saying 6.4?? and Nitrates are at 40??! My boyfriend doesn't understand why its so messed up cause he did a water change 4 days ago. I tried to say we need to do one again, and he doesn't believe me. What do you guys think?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Do a water change to reduce Nitrate.

Also, baseline your tap pH by letting a cup of it sit out overnight and then testing.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
You also have a spike in nitrite in the 125 gallon tank and water changes need to be performed there ASAP to keep the levels as close to zero as possible.

In addition to Hooked's suggestion to measure your tap for a baseline, do you happen to have a Carbonate/General Hardness measurement kit? Low carbonate hardness can contribute to pH instability.

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
do you happen to have a Carbonate/General Hardness measurement kit? Low carbonate hardness can contribute to pH instability.
No, i actually have idea what your talking about?:confused:

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
No, i actually have idea what your talking about?:confused:
they mean KH and GH (may not be any more helpful...)

basicly, both aspects are measured together in the for of pH. testing GH and KH will tell you how well your water can buffer to a certain pH.

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
they mean KH and GH (may not be any more helpful...)

basicly, both aspects are measured together in the for of pH. testing GH and KH will tell you how well your water can buffer to a certain pH.
ummm ok i kinda get it? Is it a completely different test i can get at a lfs? and is important??

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
This: GH/KH Test kit. Basically, for people with demanding fish (Discus and African Cichlids mostly) and who are running CO2 with their tanks.

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
This: GH/KH Test kit. Basically, for people with demanding fish (Discus and African Cichlids mostly) and who are running CO2 with their tanks.
Hmmmm we are about to set up the co2 in the 125 planted... so maybe i should get it.. THANKS!! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store