Cold Cathode (Scanner) Light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
I've seen a lot of moon-lighting done with Cathode Lights. I wonder if (with enough lights in one setup) they would provide enough light for day-time / plantgrow...

My company recycles electronics, which is of course a great source for all types of 'spare-parts'. From many of my customers I receive scanners that we break down into basic materials.

The idea is to put a large amount of scanner lights (they're 24 cm long) in a frame. Then mount that frame on top of the tank. I estimate a Qty between 30 - 50 in total. Need to test some first to figure the best setup.
Heat is close to nothing with these, but my question is:

1. Light Output... Would it be enough to light up the tank (and get the flora growing.
2. Light 'spectrum': What will this be? 5000k, 6500k, 10,000k...

Any suggestions or experience would be very welcome.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Update, pictures will follow on Monday (forgot my cable...sigh)
Anyhow, this is what I did for test-setup:

1. Cold Cathode Light from old scanners (including the powerboard, which regulates the electricity going into the light-strip.) 2 of them...
2. Took a 2 liter water-bottle, cut in half, put aluminium-tape on the inside.
3. 4 small holes for the wires on each of the 2 Cathodes.
4. Connect the Cathode Power boards.
(I tried parallel and series on 1 power-board, but with the same voltage, this switches on 1 light, the other one lights up only very dim, so you need individual boards for each light or find a higher output board)
5. Connect the power-boards to a 12V power-supply and voila...let there be light.

- Now, the light is very very bright. It really hurts your eyes. Even though the strips are only 24cm long and about 2mm diameter. It surely beats a standard 18W Fluorescent by a mile.
- They do not become hot at all, even the power-boards don't heat up.
- It's 12V, 0.5A. Much safer than running 220 in the hood.

As mentioned earlier, the question remains if the spectrum of light is ok for the plants, but that will be a matter of testing.

Since this was only a first test, the next step is building a strip.
- Use a PVC drain pipe, diameter 10-15cm.
- Cut in 2 halfs (Captain Obvious says Lenght wise!)
- Put in the aluminium-tape
- Drill holes for the wires
- Connect everything. Choice of putting the powerboards on top or outside the tank with only 'telephone-wires' running out of the hood, making everything very clean and tidy.

Given that the weight is really little compared to any other lamps and it is 12V, I guess that 1 PVC pipe of 1.4 with 10 of these Cathodes build in each half would light up my fish-tank like I'd never manage with 6 32W's.....

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
What is the duty cycle of these lights? If I remember correctlly, they have to warm up a bit, and the scanner usually shuts them down when the scan is completed...

Sounds like a sweet plan though.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
As for the life-span, not too worried. From some web-searches, I found that this is one the parts in a scanner that lasts. In many DIY projects I read, I found that they are used often as case-mod lights for PC's and desk lamps. I concluded from that a long life-span even if continuously on.
I've had it on all night, (11.30pm now, closing down her) and it runs with no problems.
For sure gonna spend some time building a proper one to try it.

The only problem then is the K-rating if it is between 3000 and 5000. See how it performs in 'real life'. Had it on top of one of the tanks and even with only those 2 tiny lights, it lit up half the tank without a problem. 150x50x50cm tank...

Biggest plus is absolutely no heat. Not even on the Power-Supplies after hours of burning... (it's 34'C every day here, cooling difficulties).

Maybe some leds could help if placed in between with the right color/temperature??

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Not too sure about wattage...I think I read somewhere that they are not measured in wattage. Same like LED's...But overal wattage of a flatbed-scanner is typically around 20 watt, which includes the step-motor and electronics (Operational Mode...down to 4-6 watt standby).
Assuming that 15 watt (75%) of the energy would go into the light-source, then my idea of having 20 of these lights in a 99 Gallon tank would result in 3.03 Watt p/gallon.
So the amount of light works out, it will be a matter of 'correct light' which needs to be resolved still.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
man this is hard, i have always wanted to do moon light, but im afriad that it would be to hard to do

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Fishfiles1, try this link...it's really simple...just follow the instructions, add a blue sleeve arount the scanner light (you can buy them in every lamp-shop) and hang it inbetween your other lights...your moon-light all set to go.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Free-Cold-Cathode-Lighting/

Mgamer20o0, That's what I likely will start with indeed. Before going the mile of building complete strips of 1.5 meter each...As mentioned, some pictures monday of the trial first.

Thanks all for the input...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store