How do I get algae off the glass without emptying the tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Urnesha

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Generally I don't have a problem with cleaning my tanks but I was away for 2.5 mths and my friend who was taking care of my fish didn't clean the tanks while I was gone. I've done the much needed cleaning and water changes for all my tanks since I've been back but one tank has algae growing on the walls and I can't seem to get it off.

I don't want to empty the entire tank to really scrub the walls and I've used the magnetic scrubbing pads but they didn't remove all the algae.

Any advice? I'm not thrilled with the green glow the tank has right now.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
you can buy those green scrubby pads and just reach into the tank and scrub it down - just make sure its well rinsed before you do. Don't get the ones with sponges attached as they have all sorts of chems in them, just the plain dry green scrubbies.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I used those plastic puddy scrappers. They worked great!!

Good luck:)

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
If it is really stuck, I get a razor blade, lay it flat against the glass, and it shaves it right off. No elbow grease required. Be very careful not to get close to the silicone though.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
metal edged scraper for glass

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137068&highlight=blade

scroll down to see the scraper I use. It's already at a good angle for the job.

I always start with a new blade.
I make one or 2 passes horizontally across the top edge to make a 'margin'., then start near a corner and go top-to-bottom slowly, move over a blade width and repeat.
Doesn't take as long as you might think, works great, and I've had no scratching on the glass.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Are you trying to get that encrusting coralline algae or the red algae off the front viewing panel of your aquarium? Sometimes even the green algae can be tough to scrape off. No matter how many times you go over it with that magnetic algae scraper it just won't come off! Grrr. Sounds like it's time to come up with your own device for algae control. This DIY tool works on red marine algae, green algae, brown algae or any others that will grow on the fish tank glass. This tool is only recommended for glass tanks. Do not use this on an acrylic tank!
This is a very easy DIY (do it yourself) project and should only take about 20 minutes or less to make one of these homemade algae scrapers. Granted, this tool isn't very pretty, but it does a great job on that hard to scrape algae! You will need the following parts:
  • 1/2 inch size pvc pipe, comes in 10 foot long pieces - approximately $1.50
  • 1/2 inch size 45° angle elbow joint - approximately 50 cents
  • pvc pipe cutter or a hacksaw - pipe cutter is approximately $10
  • razor blade - pack of 100 is $5
  • Total Cost: approx $17
Parts
Directions:
  1. <LI style="LIST-STYLE-IMAGE: none">Measure off about a 36 inch piece of pvc pipe and make the cut with your pvc cutters or hacksaw. You could make this piece shorter than 36 inches if you have a smaller tank. We made ours this long to prevent our hands from getting wet and possibly polluting the tank water.
    <LI style="LIST-STYLE-IMAGE: none">Measure off a 3 inch piece of pvc pipe and make the cut.
    <LI style="LIST-STYLE-IMAGE: none">Stand the 3 inch pvc on end and use a knife to make a 1/2 inch cut in the middle of the pvc pipe. We made this cut by placing an old pocket knife on the end of the pvc and hammered the pocket knife blade down into the pvc until it was about 1/2 of an inch deep. The trick is to make this cut with the right size blade. You don't want to make the cut too wide or the razor blade won't stay secured. Be careful doing this!
    <LI style="LIST-STYLE-IMAGE: none">Assemble the parts together. Plug the 45° elbow joint into one end of the 36 inch pvc and then connect the uncut end of the 3 inch pvc into the other end of the elbow joint.
    <LI style="LIST-STYLE-IMAGE: none">Place a razor blade into the cut end of the 3 inch pvc.
  2. Scrape off that algae! Be very careful around the aquarium sealant that holds the glass walls together. You don't want to compromise the glue that holds your tank together! Take your time and gently use an up and down motion to scrape off that marine algae. Don't push too hard, in fact you shouldn't even need to with the razor blade.
Finished Algae Scraper
The good thing about this scraper is that you can change out the razor blade easily once it becomes dull. A 100 pack of razor blades is fairly inexpensive and should last a long time. Do not use this scraper on an acrylic tank. You will scratch the tank.

Urnesha

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Ah. Thanks for the info! I was concerned about the scratching with a blade but seems like it's not a problem! :)

Ajordan

Se?or Member - Get it?
Nov 21, 2006
Massachusetts
I like the PVC holder idea. I use a razor as well but my big arm makes a lot of waves going up and down!

(sure I could just go slower...)

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
I like the PVC holder idea. I use a razor as well but my big arm makes a lot of waves going up and down!

(sure I could just go slower...)

lol your simpsons avatar reminded me..

your arm is too big, to request a razor blade holder create a tidal wave with your entire arm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store