Rosy red minnows-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
WOW...I never thought much about the feeders i buy for my flower horn,and jack dempsey.Great article........

gardentoad

AC Members
Dec 29, 2005
Central Indiana
They will survive lower temps than 55. I have kept them in my small garden pond for several years now. It freeze over the top but not solid.

I do not use koi because the pond is too small. I don't use goldfish either because I want amphibians to breed there too and gold will eat the eggs.
The rosies are easy to see in a dark pond and take care of mosquito larva. They breed and I do have lots of normal colored ones, a higher percentage than I started with, but after 8 years I still have plenty of rosy ones. I added a separate stream/pond and I only added the rose colored ones to it. I'm hoping they will not revert without a normal color to breed.

arapaimag

AC Members
Jan 31, 2007
Quaoar
I keep rosy yellows.

They breed in my outdoor ponds and are good at eating mosquito larva. They live under ice when the temperature gets to -35 and still come back each spring.

I have then gather in shoals of 1,000 or more but have never seen them school (yet anyway)

The one pic is while building a pond.

june 8 2008 027.jpg june 8 2008 028.jpg

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
wow that is an impressive series of ponds. i can only hope for something like that.
i have used about 15 rosy minnows to cycle my 75 gallon tank a few years back. they were hardy and eventually kept with large pool commets. at one point a large male chased everyone away from a large cave in the right corner but i never saw any eggs or fry. the males definitely have some attitude and are a very underrated aquarium fish. i plan to use them for a nice shoal when i build the pond of my dreams.

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
I am really curious about raising these. What kind o filtration do tey generally required? I was thinking box/sponge for breeding? i was going to use the really large 106qt rubbermaid containers. would this work? will they breed at room temp?? or will i need a heater?
Thanks,
Trevor

laudy000

AC Members
Jan 6, 2009
Mine spawned in a 150 Gal Rubbermaid tub outside last summer. I dont think you need a heater as they are a cold water species siminlar to white clouds.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I used to breed them for use in aquatic bioassays. We kept pairs in 15 gal tanks with a 4" section of 1.5" pvc cut in half lengthwise. They spawn on the roof of the created cave.

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
So, the male takes care of the eggs right???? Could i have a large tub and let nature takes its course???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store