Sick Fish (Clown Fish & Blue-Green Chromis)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NibyNool

AC Members
Jul 4, 2008
Wiangaree, NSW, Australia
Ok, I've had a FOWLR running for 6 months (since adding fish). About a month ago my female clown fish's color very slightly lightened on the upper part of her body and about 48 hours later she died. My male clown fish was fine.

Well here I am today noticing that my ex-male (now female) clown fish seems very lazy and has also developed this slight lightening of color. Additional to this my blue green chromis was swimming around the tank at a huge speed yesterday and is now not wanting to come out from a hiding spot under the live rock.

I'm concerned that I'm about to lose both of them. I've done all the parameter checks and everything is consistant with where it has been and normal recommended levels and nothing has changed in the tank.

These are the only two fish in a 55g tank.

Any advice would be appreciated.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Hi Niby...Welcome to AC

From what I have been seeing, this is most likely due to poor water quality. Please tell us more about the tank, maintenance and waterchange schedule.

To start off with, you may want to get 10 gallons of mix and do a water change. (how do you test salinity?)

I don't know your maintenance schedule so water change is usually one of the first things when fish act suspicious.

Do you have a separate smaller empty tank to set up for a Hospital tank should the need arise?

What is you filtration? How much Live rock and live sand? Any sump on the system? How is the algae?

About the fish, is it fuzzy white or just pale? Do you have pictures?

Agian first get water change done, and when the others here wake up I'm sure they will have some more insights and help advice.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I would have to believe that it be the combination of water quality and the clownfish diet, or it could be either of the two.. SO yes, a detailed explanation of your tanks setup with other inhabitants would assist others in how to best help your fish condition.

Buddy

NibyNool

AC Members
Jul 4, 2008
Thanks for the quick responses. I've been keeping an eye on the clown fish for the last couple of hours and she seems to be swimming around a lot more. In that it is 1am here I wont get anything much done tonight, and with her looking a bit happier I would like to get some sleep.

At present there are only the two fish in the tank.

I will do a water change first thing in the morning; normally I do 10 litres a week as that is the size of the storage tank on my RO unit. I do have a hydrometer for testing salinity (2 of them actually [and different brands] that both agree on the SG).

I've got about 18kg of LR in the tank and a skimmer.

Re pictures, I don't have any decent ones, and the only reason I noticed she is pale is because I spend too much time looking at her, it is a very subtle variation in shade and would be unlikely to show up in photos.

The tank has a fairly high phosphate level because of the local water supply (it is sourced from a river in a farming area) and I don't yet have a DI unit to complete the filtration, but my understanding is this is not a problem for the fish. Nitrate levels are higher than I would like, but are under 10ppm (after r/o i get 5-7ppm out of the tap).

There minimal algae in the tank, but due to the high phosphates and the LFS leading me down the garden path when i bought the tank (i ended up with a tank i can't have appropriate lights on) if i'm not careful it can get ugly.

The fish get fed on a variety of foods, mainly "Aquasonic Complete", "TetraMarine Marine Flakes" and freeze dried krill. the clown seems to like the flakes, the chromis prefers the krill.

Once again, thanks for the offers of advice; and snailrider, thanks for the welcome, although I have been hiding in the chatroom a lot :)

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Well I hope she is alright as with the rest of the crew.

I know that after you lose a fish, you may be on "high alert" when it comes to changes. I hope that whatever it is, that it stays minor and fixes with good husbandry, which sounds like you have a grasp of, or know where to get info to give the care your fish need.

I'm not sure, but you mention 1 am. Many fish change color at night. They would also be slower. My little clown around dusk starts going into this cycle. I fed them late one evening, and he wouldn't even eat.

It took a few minutes for him to realize there was food, and then he woke up and chased the food down.

Anyway Pics are welcome in my book whether healthy or sick, new or old.

Hope you hang out and chat more, now that you have your toes wet anyway.

NibyNool

AC Members
Jul 4, 2008
I'm thinking maybe I just woke them up last night. I haven't done a water change yet (one isn't due) but both fish seem happy today. I think I'm just expecting the fish to be active for too many hours a day. I'll keep monitoring them and see how they go.

NibyNool

AC Members
Jul 4, 2008
hey toast, generally i'm using daylight with some artificial light in the evenings.... but it's all sorted now, i think i interrupted their rest patterns....

thanks for the advice, i was just panicing :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store