Setting up African Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
I'm setting up an African cichlid tank at the moment and I just want some ideas on what I could put in it. Like what types of rocks I should use, background, aeration and stuff. I am open to any suggestions.

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
This is it so far. I won't be able to put anything in it for a while cause I've got no money at the moment. And owe my parents about $180-$190 so I can't borrowany more money.

Here it is so far. I have made a few adjustments with the wood and stone there and I'll get a picture of it soon. Here's what it used to look like.

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
I know the tank is a lump of crap right now but what would look better a black or a dark or navy sort of blue?

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
I know a lot of people prefer black backgrounds in Cichlid tanks - particularly with bright coloured Africans.

However, I have seen equally stunning looks created with dark blue. I think it's down to personal preference really, so it's up to you.

Many people paint the back of the tank, but if you're unsure or think you are likely to change, paper would probably be best first.

Also have you considered a 'rock' background either homemade or pre bought? Would look nice.

I'm very much in the same position of you in terms of setting up (I spent all my money on the tank and can't afford anything else at the moment, so it will be sitting for a while). I started a thread about natural rocks here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164367

Remember, you need to have the right PH as well, so some kind of buffer will be needed if your tap water isn't sufficient. Various types of rocks, substrate or chemical buffers can help with this.

I'm new to African Cichlids myself so I hope this helps a little, the above is just some of the things I have read over the last month.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I prefer a black background myself, with most all fish. There are many types of "African" cichlids. It would help if you chose what ones you are keeping before settling on the exact decor requirements.

What is the exact gallonage of your tank, pilot? If you are unsure, you can measure it and use the conversion tab at the top of the page to find out. It looks like you will need a good medium sized canister filter though a couple of large HOB filters may do just as well.

You most likely will not have to do anything to the pH and adjusting it can cause more problems than it is worth. It is more important for your pH to be stable. Do you know what your tap pH is currently?

Last edited:

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
This is it so far. I won't be able to put anything in it for a while cause I've got no money at the moment. And owe my parents about $180-$190 so I can't borrowany more money.

Here it is so far. I have made a few adjustments with the wood and stone there and I'll get a picture of it soon. Here's what it used to look like.

You could go to a thrift store and for a couple of dollars get some blue and or black construction paper and see which one you like best. Good start on your setup......:)

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
I prefer a black background myself, with most all fish. There are many types of "African" cichlids. It would you if you chose what ones you are keeping before settling on the exact decor requirements.

What is the exact gallonage of your tank, pilot? If you are unsure, you can measure it and use the conversion tab at the top of the page to find out. It looks like you will need a good medium sized canister filter though a couple of large HOB filters may do just as well.

You most likely will not have to do anything to the pH and adjusting it can cause more problems than it is worth. It is more important for your pH to be stable. Do you know what your tap pH is currently?
My tank is 166 litres which is probably about 55 gallons. The filter I currently have does 500 litres an hour and it has carbon and biological media or whatever (I'm new to all this stuff so yeah lol). I don't know what the pH is in my tap water at the moment. I like black and blue for the backgrounds but I can't decide on which one. Anyway I have ages to decide what I want to do with the tank so I just want some ideas on what I could do with it to plan what I want to do. Also how long would this take to cycle? Thanks.

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
I also forgot, the inhabitants so far are gonna be 2 cyrtocara mooriis (Blue Dolphin), and 2 Electric Yellows. So it would also be cool if anyone gave some names of some fish. Thanks.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A fishless cycle with ammonia should take about 3-6 weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store