not a great white...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unvmyplecos

without sorrow happiness is nothing
Jun 26, 2008
NY
my mother:banher: is interested in the specs of a redtail shark, for any who has one, how agressive are they how large do they get? what do they eat?
and how big of a tank do i need for this setup. what type of filter(what size(bio wheel))?

thanks guys

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
They get up to 6" and are very territorial and aggressive as they age. Minimum tank size IMO would be a 29G with 55 being even better. Have her look at Rainbow sharks, they are very similar but slightly less aggressive. Also, keep in mind that tank mates will be very limited with an RTS or RBS.

unvmyplecos

Jun 26, 2008
NY
she actuaaly wanted to add them to a community tank with a couple neon tetras, would that have been a good idea? oh and if it matters she wanted a loach/pleco(clown)

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
she actuaaly wanted to add them to a community tank with a couple neon tetras, would that have been a good idea? oh and if it matters she wanted a loach/pleco(clown)
I can speak directly only on the RBS. I have one in my hodge podge community tank and I also have Neons and loaches in there. It is a heavily planted 4' 55G though so there is plenty of room and hiding places for everyone. I would not attempt it with an RTS.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Redtail sharks are usually only aggressive with other RTS and similar looking sharks. I've had an RTS get to 5" and live many years in a community setting not harming another individual.

unvmyplecos

Jun 26, 2008
NY
thank you so much..... ill relay the info and see what she says.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store