Any gudgeon connoisseurs out there?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimapunju

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Specifically, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with purple spotted gudgeons (Mogurnda spp.) in a community tank.

I recently bought a few peacock gudgeons to add to a 75 gallon low light planted SE Asian community tank. The other inhabitants are 5 turquoise rainbows, 13 harlequin rasboras, 4 gold barbs, 4 yoyo loaches, a pair of dwarf gouramis, and a SAE. I loved the look and behavior of the peacock gudgeons (each about 1 1/2 inches when purchased), but the other tank inhabitants would consistently outcompete them for food. I tried many different food types (live, frozen, flake, pellet), feeding different areas of the tank, even overfeeding. They just couldn't keep up with the feeding frenzy and wasted away within a few months.

I was wondering if a purple spotted gudgeon might provide similar gudgeon looks and behavior (and add some more color and activity to the lower levels of the tank), but be aggressive enough to compete for food with the other tank inhabitants. On the flip side, will the rasboras eventually become gudgeon food?

I would also be open to other suggestions to add some more color and personality to the lower levels, in keeping with the SE Asian/Australasian theme and bearing in mind I don't have much more room for stocking. Thanks.

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
Purple spotted gudgeons would best be fed on live or frozen food since they mainly eat meat and fish so maybe you can add some frozen food that may sink and than feed your fish with their normal food. They will eat other smaller fish that may fit in their mouth in your tank.

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
I have some peacocks and for the longest time they wouldnt eat anything but frozen bloodworms or live bbs. Then I added some guppy fry to the tank to see if they would eat them, they didnt. But as the guppys got a little bigger the gudgeons learnt to eat flake food by watching the guppys.

kimapunju

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Wow... I had kind of given this post up for dead. Thanks for the replies.

My problem was not with the peacock gudgeons taking flake food (which they actually did pretty well) as much as with every other fish in the tank snatching the flake food from right in front of them.

At this point I am still thinking of trying my hand with a purple spotted gudgeon, but there is only one store in town (Tropical World Pets) that gets them every once in a while. Ordering them off the Internet tends to be much pricier, even before adding shipping costs.

SamHam

AC Members
You should definitely get one, to be honest i am still VERY new to knowing about them and learning everyday but have found him a great addition to the tank. I still am not sure what type of Mogurnda he/she is ? As the internet does not have much information on them and also the images say he/she is either Mogurnda Mogurnda, Adspersa, Northern, Southern.... all very confusing. But what i do know is they grow extremely fast from fry to 6.5" in 5 months! They love their food and get very excited when its feeding time. Never had any problems with aggression, housed with two dwarf gouramis and clown loaches, just make sure the tank mates cant fit in their mouths! Favourite food is prawns, and blood worm but has eaten flake/pellets much to his disgust. Have read they are a jumper so make sure its not an open tank not seen it only seen a belly flop and a large splash when getting too excited over the floating prawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store