Red Lobo Brain coral...did I get taken?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
My LFS finally got a red lobo in and I jumped on it. He told he to leave it there a few days while it recuperated from shipping (but to go ahead and pay naturally). So, I did. It was 75$ which is the most I have paid for a coral so far. I told him that I hoped to see it "out" next time I came as it just looked like a red/green skeleton at that point, so I could be sure it was healthy.

Four days later I go in. It looks exactly the same. He says he just turned the lights on so it hasn't come out yet but also that it takes about a MONTH for it to fully expand. And he wants me to hurry and decide because others are interested if I'm not going to take it home.

I give in to the pressure and bring it home. I'm scared to death that I just paid 75$ for an unhealthy coral that is going to die. I've never seen a brain receded - only plumped up - so I have nothing to compare it to. Am I in trouble?

It is about 3 inches at longest point and 2.5 in width. It has a red shell with some white on the edges (skeleton or coloration I dont' know). The center is red too with a permimeter of green. I'll get a photo later but any ideas now?

If you are sharing guesses, please say so - if you are sharing based on experience, let me know that too.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Doh! Ummm, I think you got taken. That sounds like a very bad LFS to do something like that. I have seen quite a few red lobos come through the store I work at and never does it take more than a day for them to come out fully, most of the time it is within hours. Hopefully it will be ok, but from the sounds of it, it didn't sound very healthy at the LFS. If it doesn't survive chalk it up to experience and not visit that LFS again, or at least if you do and they try and pressure you into buying just say no thanks, I was already taken by you once on your pressure sales tactics, I won't let it happen again.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
Not sure on the coral, but wanted to chime in and agree with Ace. Very shady indeed, can't imagine one of my LFS doing that. Definantly would be the last time I would go there unless it would be to bring the coral back if it turns out to be unhealthy. Reminds me of the dead parrot from Monty Pythons. "Its just sleeping"

Good luck with the coral!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the advice and thoughts. I'm doubting REAL seriously he will let me bring it back. I put it in a lower light/lower flow area and will try to feed it some mysis tonight if I can find the mouth. Perhaps I can bring it back. Grrr...so irritated with myself. I don't know what happened. I'm normally so cheap!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Feeding tentacles out tonight after I fed tank with mysis. I'll time the feeding later tomorrow to make sure he gets some directly...hopefully he'll catch some of the free floating nutrients tonight. Any other advice welcome.

BTW - I'm reading that my lights T5 HO are fine for this coral but then read somewhere tonight that LPS requires halides...what's the real deal?

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
SunDial T5 HO Lighting System 24''

2-10K/2-460nm actinics with reflectors up and down each bulb angled toward tank.

I have a digitata and monti cap doing well at the top of the tank if that helps any....thanks for the questions and feedback.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
The light fixture itself looks to be a decent one the only real problem I could find with it would be the bulbs (low end bulbs) if you were to replace the bulbs with better quality bulbs you would be better off. You shouldnt have any problems with LPS's and several lower light SPS's up high with the bulbs you are useing now

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
While there are some LPS corals that would best be kept under MH, many of them do not require MH. Remember, LPS is a very broad category label that encompasses many different corals with vastly different needs. I have 2 different open brain corals under T5 HO, and have seen them do ok in shallow tanks under PCs even.

I agree... If the feeding tentacles are coming out, it should be saveable. Good luck!

BTW, I would not visit that LFS anymore... Their high pressure tactics don't have the best interest of you, the coral, or the hobby in mind. I know of LFSs that will hold corals up to a week for someone without any payment and longer with payment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store