Help this noob convert his 135g from freshwater to saltwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Troy32424

AC Members
Aug 26, 2008
hello,

I am fairly new to this site, and completely new to saltwater. I have dabbled with fresh all my life. I have several questions involving a conversion i plan to do with my 135 gallon tank. I plan to convert it to saltwater I would like to have some live rock, maybe an anemone, and couple tangs and maybe some other peaceful fish. I would like to set it up to have the least maintenance possible. My questions are...:help:

1. What type of filter would suit my tank best? (should I have a canister and a wetdry?)

2. How do you set up the filter system? (I have always dealt with overhang filters)

3. Do i need a protein skimmer or refugium?

4. Where can i purchase these for a good price?

5. Are there any other tips/advice that would help me do this right.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Troy,
I'm in the same boat only I'm just setting up a 55 gal salt, but I would think the same advice would suit you to only bigger. Do lots of reading in this forum and look for others as well. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures. :)

Greg

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
If you want an anemone then things change from Fish Only to Reef. At that point water quality and lighting really come into play. So, going by what you said:

1. Neither, use a sump/refugium

2. Buy an overflow box, smaller tank (biggest one that will fit under your stand), few pieces of glass cut to size and silicone to glue them into the smaller tank to make a sump/refugium partitions inside the tank, some tubing, and a return pump. That is the basics to building that type of filtration system.

3. Yes, preferably both, but definately a GOOD protein skimmer. For a 135G your going to be looking in the $300-$400 range for a good skimmer.

4. MarineDepot.com, or drfosters and smith to name a couple.

5. Design it right the first time, don't buy cheap equipment thinking you can skimp on critical things. I have made countless "bad" purchases getting sub par equipment thinking I can save a few bucks, it never works out.

You are going to need a good light as well to support an anemone. While anemones seem to be the most capable "coral" to adapt to various lighting types, they do prefer the most intense and will respond better with more light. On a 135G a lighting setup, pre-made is going to run you in the $600-$1000 range depending on light, or if you DIY and buy retro kits you could probably get by around $600 for a really good setup, much better than a $600 pre-made fixture.

If you skip the anemone and go with a Fish Only tank, then things get MUCH cheaper and easier.

Troy32424

AC Members
Aug 26, 2008
Thanks Ace,

I already have the overflow box (and a wetdry system) but couldn't get it to work without running dry or flooding. I really like the idea of having an anemone. I would really like to do this right (the first time), I am the type of person to pay more for the best system and get it one piece at a time. I have to get lighting either way though. I feel pretty secure that I can pick out a lighting system by myself, but is there a particular sump/refugium you would suggest?

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I would just make one with a 75 gallon tank just install 3 pieces of glass for the bubble trap and the return pump area but make sure you leave enough room for the skimmer in the first section. I would go with nothing less than T-5's with individual reflectors or MH's and just so you know in case you dont WPG means nothing because each type of lighting penetrates differently. This would be a good skimmer , I knwo a couple people running them and are very happy with it.
https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=91_128&products_id=491

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
For a sump, like I said, I would just get a tank that will fit in the stand under the main tank. If a 55G or 75G tank fits that would be ideal. If you can find a used scratched up acrylic tank for sale cheap on places like craigslist or a local reef club site then that would be cheaper. I would then design 3 partitions and get glass pieces cut the fit inside the tank to make baffles/sections. First section would need to fit a skimmer, filter sock for overflow, heater, and probably a reactor. Second chamber would be your refugium, and third chamber would be the return pump.

cweber

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
Oklahoma
I recently upgraded my 75g to a 135g. Im running a 29g sump/fuge, but would rather have a 55g. I just needed more space under the tank so settled for the 29. At this moment im only running two 175watt metal halides. I will be adding another in a month or two. This setup was on my 75 and i just moved them over for now. When i have all three lights running, it should support pretty much anything, as long as they are placed according to there light needs. It really depends on what corals if any, you want to keep. I dont really have any advice on a skimmer as im looking for one myself. I ran skimmerless until recently. Now im just using one i had laying around. Here is a link to my tank, I havnt started a new thread on here yet.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1417024

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Anemones seem to go for "walks" so be ready to have it relocate on its own.

cweber

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
Oklahoma
Nice light, but you could build it alot cheaper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store