Salt in the Freshwater aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
Today I was at the local pet food store and I was talking to a girl who seemed to know a lot about fish. I asked her about the De-chlorinator they had, She did show it to me. But then she said what about salt? She told me at every water change I should be adding salt. I wasn't sure about this so I am asking you. Do I need to be adding salt at every water change to my freshwater tanks? New concept to me here. :confused:
She said just add a sprinkle every time I do a water change, that the salt will calm the fish down and reduce stress.:confused:
Please someone give me info on this as I had never heard of doing it at every water change and want to make sure being fairly new that I haven't been missing a step in maintanence. :feedback:
I did buy it. It's called Aquarium Salt for Tropical fish and gold fish made by the Jungle company. Says for water quality.
Do I just add a sprinkle each time like she says?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Aquarium salt has absolutely no use in the aquarium except to treat ick. Even then table salt is much cheaper. There is no proof that it helps fish fight off infections or even prevent disease. Many people have done so with out it. All you need is good maintenance.

Btw, which store were you at? Feel free to PM me as I am interested. :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not needed at all.

Though some folks do recommend certain specific "salts" for some types of African cichlids, depending on your tap water chemistry.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
theres a big sign in my petsmart here in town "All freshwater fish need salt to help with their gill function and to help with stress".

Crazy huh? So considering most people don't just toss the newly bought fish into their tank, it's no wonder most chain stores have bad reps about fish dying. Makes me wonder if all the big chain stores have salt in their water. Even one of the local mom and pop shops tell me they add water to all their tanks for "proper gill function". I stopped buying from that store after they told me that.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
How do these people imagine gill function is maintained in the wild where no-one's putting salt in the water?

I expect they don't. They don't think.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
As stated it's not needed. Just a store money maker.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
There are two reasons to add salt to fw fish:

1. For live fish- To cure ich and a few other diseases/problems.
2. For cooked fish- To season.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store