Goldfish swallow gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Ok, so i heard this really weird tapping sound in my aquarium for a while, it was getting annoying so i got up to see what it was. One of my goldfish had a piece of gravel stuck in its mouth! I opened the lid to try and help it out (don't know how i would have helped actually) and as i did it either came out, or swallowed it. I didn't see. All i know is that its not stuck in the mouth anymore. If it swallowed it, how would i know? Will she die? How do i monitor her? What do i do???
Any responses GREATLY appreciated

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
im planning on taking out the gravel and making a bare bottom tomorrow, should i just go asap and do it now??

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Goldfish always move gravel about. I don't know if they swallow it but it is a natural behavior. I can't imagine that they would do it if it would hurt them.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I have 11 aquariums of just fancy goldfish and they are forever moving the gravel around putting it in there mouths and spitting it out and I have never had one die from doing it. I would leave the gravel and not worry it just seems natural they root around in the gravel looking for bits of food.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
If it were still stuck in your fish's throat, then you would need to remove it before it impedes feeding or causes a wound internally. If your fish swallowed it, its likely that there will be further complications down the road. Hopefully it was able to spit the pebble out. Goldfish will generally pick up and move substrate, as was pointed out above, but it is important to ensure that the gravel is of a grain size that is either too big to be mouthed (but perfect for trapping detritus), or small enough where you don't have to worry about pieces getting lodged in your fish's throat. Id make sure that your fish gets pristine water in the upcoming weeks.

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Ok, thanks everyone, ill stop freaking and just keep an eye on her

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
if the pebble was big enough to seem lodged in the fish's mouth, then it is likely that it ddi not swallow it.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
My fan tail had a piece of gravel stuck in its mouth once. When I put my hands in the water she came over and I just pulled it out. It slipped right out I didn't have to tug. My guess is it just spit it out. Before I took the rock out of my fish's mouth it was trying to work it out with its lips. I would assume if the fish is going to the bathroom normally that it did not swallow it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store