What to do???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Ok so I'm gettin tired of the way my 54 corner tank looks. Right now I have a few gourami's, 2 IR sharks (LFS lied about max size), a few glass cats, 2 syno cats (another LFS story), clown loach, a few mollies and platties, and a kind of burrowing eel.
I have 2 other tanks and a 3rd coming in the near future. I have a 120G planted discus tank in the living room, a 5gal home to some yellow shrimp, 4 sminith botia (something like that, common name is figure 8 loach), and 4 bubble bee gobies. I read the bumble bee's wouldn't do too good but they have been in the FW setup for 2 months and not issues. It is also planted. The other tank in the future is going to be a 180 or so sized custom in-wall reef tank.
The 54 is planted right now and has some driftwood also (all the tanks have some). It has a 200 or 250 watt stealth, 2028 eheim filter, and a coralife PC fixture. I have always liked cichlids and was thinking of going to a cichlid tank with large round boulders for them to go in and out of. What do you guys think I could put in there, I would prefer for them to stay under 3-5". I'm not a fan of fish who don't have much room to swim.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
I was looking for something a little more colorfull than neolamprologus multifasciatus. The julidochromis transcriptus was pretty nice looking. Are there any suggestions with some more color? ideally I would like to keep it planted also, the plants look nice in my room.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Demasoni Cichlid, Marlieri Cichlid, Tretocephalus Cichlid, and the duboisi
are a few cichlids i saw over on liveaquaria that caught my attention. would there be anything wrong with any of those?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
2004jetta wrote:
Demasoni Cichlid, Marlieri Cichlid, Tretocephalus Cichlid, and the duboisi
are a few cichlids i saw over on liveaquaria that caught my attention. would there be anything wrong with any of those?
the demasoni and the trets will not work together both species hate others with the same patterns blues and blk stripes the duboisi will work if you put in at least 10 of them to focus on each other, well there will be someone out there that will say this is silly but it works for my 55gal and is still working nicely i have a colony of neolamp brevis 8 total, a colony of neolamp maltifasciatus 6 total, julidochromis transcriptus 5 total, neolamp lelupi 3 total all is fine with the exception of the lelupi's squabbles and really they just chase each other but this works for me, i bet the duboisi 10 total and the demasoni 10 total would look sweet in that setup that will be for sure an aggressive setup though good luck aye..

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
do you think the buyoisi would get to big for a 54 corner. I'm worried mainly because of the shortedr tank, ie less swimming length. Thank you for the response

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
i wouldnt skimp on the duboisi at least 10 of them they are truely aggressive fish with each other i have heard of people putting just one in a tank with a community of africans cichlids and they didnt have any problems. what i do know is that if you only put like 3 or 4 they will kill each other off so a 10some will add alot of different targets with the duboisi. as for me i am a old timer when it comes to africans i have been keeping fish for 21+ years i have the thought process of the early times when they advised hobbyist to cram alot of africans in a tank to keep everyone hopping so to say. this holds true for mbuna and the like and dont take me in the wrong way i am not saying you have to fill every inch of water with a fish, it makes more sense to add alot due to a fish that takes the head posistion as the alpha so that it will have several targets instead of just picking on one certain fish here read this i pulled this from the chicago cichlid assoiciation http://www.gcca.net/fom/Tropheus_duboisi.htm

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Trophs are really out of the question IMO...a standard 55 is the minimum for a group.

If you want more color brevis and occelatus would be good replacements however both tend to be more aggressive towards each other and will not necessarily form a colony like the multis. Sure multis lack a little color but they make it up in personality.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
So I've done a little searching and have come up with this list:
6- julidochromis transcripts
4- tanganicodus irsacae
12- neolamprologus multifasciatus

I'll throw in some agramax substate to replace my current stuff. I'll possibly do a DIY styrofoam rockwall with additional rocks. I'd like to have real plants but I don't think that it will be a possibility. What do you guys think of this list?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool 2004jetta thats a pretty decent stock list provide plenty of empty snail shells along with a rocky habitat you should be fine you may have to get rid of a few juli transcriptus when they reach maturity but sounds good, why not add plants, i have them in all of my setups, java ferns, anubias, java moss, cryptocoryne, vals americana, sagittaria subulata, all plants except the sag and vals are low light level and do fine in my tanks i have a 10gal multifasciatus fry tank with wall to wall sagittaria so yep you can go with some plants in this setup its your taste as to what you want to do good luck buddy but sounds sweet aye..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store