black molly with dropsy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
I have a black molly with dropsy. It looks bad and ugly. Poor fish. He used to be big (about 3 inches) and beautiful and his scales use to look like velvet.

When I notice the dropsy the other mollies were constantly swimming underneath him and picking or nipping at the fin below him.

He's in a 10 gal quartine tank now. Seems to swim ok and eat. I can't believe how ugly this diease looks with the scales sticking almost straight out and his eyes all buldged. Awful. I feel bad becuase I know his chances are slim.

So my question is what kind of anti-biotic should I try? I am at work now but will pick some anti-biotics up right after work. I need some help on any names of anti-biotics. Any advice. I know.... I am keeping his quarentine clean and pristine.

By the way the tank readings were Am = 0 Nitrite = 0 and nitrate = 15 ....all other fish in the tank are healthy.

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
The fishes eyes are bulging out? Sure it doesnt have popeye as well. As bad as it sounds I would just euthanize the fish, usually when they get to the stage where they're really swelled up no matter the treatment the fish will end up perishing due to the damage already done. In my opinion at least succesful treatments at this stage of disease are such a low percentage at this point I cut my loses although you may have different results with treating. You can utilize maracyn-2 I believe to try and treat, good luck.

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
The fishes eyes are bulging out? Sure it doesnt have popeye as well. As bad as it sounds I would just euthanize the fish, usually when they get to the stage where they're really swelled up no matter the treatment the fish will end up perishing due to the damage already done. In my opinion at least succesful treatments at this stage of disease are such a low percentage at this point I cut my loses although you may have different results with treating. You can utilize maracyn-2 I believe to try and treat, good luck.
yeah the fishes eyes are bulging out -- from what I read that's not always pop eye but often a part of the dropsy....

I'd like to give antibiotics a shot none the less... if they dont seem to help i will probably Euthanize :( .......as i read... like you said.... he has a low chance of survival

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
well i just got home from work did a 75% water change -- added two packs maracyn-two and salt -- that's it -- just wait and see -- add a pack of Maracyn-two every day for 5 days like it says... and keep the water clean -- I guess thats all i can do for now -- we'll see what happens

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
did you take the activated charcoal stuff out of the filter. that filters out the medicine

dang! thanks -- no -- taking it out now --I usually only use sponge filters with aqua clear filters--- but on the quarentine tank it has the charcol built in the whisper filter -- i forgot all about that -- thats so much

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
just an update -- woke up thid morning -- did a water change -- added a pack of maracyn-two - he's swimming - and active -- still looks like hell -- I am going to get some peas today and see if that helps any.... (shrugs)

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
my mom successfully treated her oranda with very bad dropsy with the marycyn stuff and alot of patience because she had to hand feed him as well.so... Good Luck to you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store