algae control

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Is there a product that I could use to control algae in my 110 gal tank? It seems like I always get algae be it on the wall if the tank, and also the water is slightly cloudy, too. Is ther a floating algae, too? I do a water change evedry 2 weeks, with vacuming as well. I cannot move the tank from where it is. It is in my Florida room, and I leave the blinds pulled in there to reduce the amount of light coming in there. It probably is not the most ideal place to have it, but I guess I will just have to deal with it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Too much lighting and excess nutrients (usually due to messy fish or overfeeding) are the two main reasons why you could have algae. Chemicals only mask the problem, not eradicate it. I would cut back on both and see what happens.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
or put a background on the tank. no need to move it, a couple sheets of black posterboard taped to the rear tank rim may be enough to cut off most of the excess light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store