40 Gallon tank, angels?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I have a 40 gallon tank - 30 long, 24 high and 12 deep.

Would this be suitable for angels? If so, how many?

I love the look of them but after reading here, I'm concerned about the aggression and potential pairing up.

Thoughts?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I have always had angels in pairs.Sometimes same sex pairs,sometimes M and F.Right now I have a pair in a 30,with dwarf cichlids,otos,and cories.The angels are the same sex(females,i think).From my experience with them,as far as aggression,even when they are a little territorial,what aggressive behavior they do show,never does any damage to the other fish.They mostly just chase one another around the tank.Sometimes they go after the dwarfs,but like with each other,no damage is ever done.So if you do decide to get some in your 40g,I would stick with 2.
Of all the angels I have had over the years,mating pairs,and non mating pairs,non has never done any real damage to another fish.They have a reputation of being aggressive because they are territorial.But in a 40,just don't overstock it with other large fish,and you should be fine.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
Thanks. I know absolutely nothing about angels. I bought this tank off of Craigslist and it seems to be more of a tall style. I thought of angels when i saw it then I read about them here and thought nope.

I tend to like species only tanks as opposed to community tanks. Would 2 angels fill out this tank? I would consider some corys for the bottom possibly.

Otherwise, I am considering a group of tiger barbs.

It will be a planted tank.

Amante_di_Betta

Anubias Harlet
May 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Gary
Make sure you let the tank run for A LONG TIME if you're going to do angels. When I asked around about stocking the new 30 Im getting, I was told 4 angel fish to see who pairs off, and then a school of corys (albinos for me) for the bottom. But I love angelfish. I have one now and she (dont know the sex but her name suits her personality) Angellica is amazing. Love her to pieces but hate her all the same :-D Shes evil..but good luck and Angels are awesome!

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
I have a 40 gallon tank - 30 long, 24 high and 12 deep. That's a 37g tank

Would this be suitable for angels? Yes If so, how many? up to 6 common or 4 altums

I love the look of them but after reading here, I'm concerned about the aggression and potential pairing up.

Thoughts?
I have been raising angels for years there aggression is over rated. When angels pair they will chase other fish away they do not kill they are more concerned with their fry or eggs to be that aggressive. In point of fact having other fish to chase off strengthens the pair bond.

there are those who will say they have gotten a pair with as little as 3 I can tell you that is extremely lucky. I form by breeding pairs by raising up 6 juveniles up in a 20H or 29 and wait for pairs to form if I am very lucky I will get 2 pairs this way.

your tank is able to support up to 6 easily. Now if you don't want pairs you could do 4 altums in that tank with out concern for pairing to occur.

Stay away from black angel's they are the hardest to keep alive it has only been the last year that I have had limited success I have 2 double blacks and 1 that has some silver showing through. The double blacks are form a lfs they got them from a local breeder so they are in my local tap not my soft ro water mix that I use for my discus and other angels.the other is from a petco he is in with my discus and altums.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would start with a trio, depending on what else you want to put in there. You could look specifically females only if you want bigger fish from the get go, but it is easier to just get them now and move out any issues.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
If you are going to have a species only tank,up to 6 angels would be fine.With regular water changes,a small school of cories would also be OK.I would stick with even numbers,or 5.If you get 3,there is a chance of 2 of them pairing up,and they might relentlessly torment the 3rd fish if eggs are laid.Trios of angels are not a good idea unless you have a much larger tank.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I have been raising angels for years there aggression is over rated. VERY,VERY,TRUE!

there are those who will say they have gotten a pair with as little as 3 I can tell you that is extremely lucky.I have myself,very unlikely though.I had to get rid of the 3rd,I just couldn't stand watching him being constantly chased.

your tank is able to support up to 6 easily. Now if you don't want pairs you could do 4 altums in that tank with out concern for pairing to occur.Great point![/quote]

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
see, i don't know how some people can have that many angels in a 40g tank. i have 4 in a 150g 5-foot long tank and they still continue to pick at each other and have "face offs" every day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store