20 gallon FOWLR- first marine tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I believe I'm ready to start a marine tank after plenty of experience with freshwater. I have had a heavily planted tank running for about a year also, so I understand water quality, overal tank balance (light, fish, nutrients, CO2, etc.) water testing, and adding of chemicals (fertilizers).

My questions might be the fairly common ones seen regularly here, but I've read through many threads already in the marine forums, and haven't found these answers.

To start off, I'd like to figure out which is better for a FOWLR tank....a 20 high, or 20 long? I have both available, but don't have a tank available that's any larger than that. I know that larger means more stable, but either I make due with a 20 gallon, or I stick to freshwater for a while longer (until I buy another house, and get more space). I don't really have a problem with only being able to have a couple to three smallish fish, but just want to have a pretty decent, balanced tank. So please let me know which size works better.

Next is equipment: How does a couple of powerheads (either two Eheim Aquaballs, or AC 301's) and a smallish protein skimmer sound? I'd like to keep things as simple and inexpensive as possible, but I understand that some money is simply worth spending! Are air driven Protein Skimmers any good, or should I go with a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Skimmer? Another?

I am assuming to go with a DSB, using small grained sand and "live sand" to seed it. I think I may also go with a 10 gallon tank beside (with even top levels) it to use as a refugium for additional critters, and use a powerhead to pump water into the refugium and just have a (stable) syphon bringing the water back into the main display tank. I could put additional DSB and live rock in this tank for added filtration and microfauna populations. Does any of this sound like a bad idea? I know about syphon loss problems, and plan to have a safe way to operate it without spilling.

For fish: I really like common clowns, but don't want to buy high lighting and deal with anemones yet! I'm not sure whether I'd want them without the anemone. I also really like Blenny's and Goby's but I have no idea what goes well with what! I would like to at least have one bottom dwelling sifter, if possible! Also, I like the look of Pajama Cardinals or Kaudern's Cardinals, but I hear they need to be in schools for them to be happiest! I also love Puffers (especially Dogface Puffers), but I don't think I have the room for messy fish as these. Let me know if I'm wrong! I'm not exactly sure how many of what I can keep in a small tank like I'd be using (20 gallons with 10 gallon refugium), although I DO know it won't be more than probably 3 or 4 topps, right? Also what else should I add to keep the sand stirred and healthy tank in general?

I know that reading a book about marine aquariums will give me some great info, and I'm sure I'll get 2 or more books at some point, but everything I've read so far says a minimum of 30 gallons for a marine tank, and I know some people have 5 gallon "nano-reefs". I would love to have a 125+gallon marine in the future, but it's not available to me now, and I'd like to get my feet wet in the salty side of things. Like I said, I do understand keeping very clean, well balanced aquaria, and I do weekly water changes on all my tanks. I just need to know some experienced opinions on what would work out in the tank and fish to complete the setup. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
With the experience you have, doing a 20 gallon FOWLR will work fine. Common clowns (either ocellaris or percula) will be great in a 20, and have absolutely no need for an anemone. If you get captive bred ones, they will be quite hardy and eat anything. Buy 2 juveniles and you'll end up with a pair. The other fish you mention will also be good. Banggai/Kaudern's cardinals are supposed to be good in pairs or MFF trios, but schools can have aggression problems. You are right about the fish capacity, 3-4 small fish, max.

I am running a 20 high, which is fine, but a 20 long will have a better surface/volume ratio and give them a little more room to swim.

A couple of good powerheads and a decent skimmer (CPR bakpak or AquaC Remora) would be fine. I am not a big fan of Red Sea products, and I hear very mixed opinions about the Prizm. I am using a BakPak 2R, and am very happy.

I strongly recommend going with your 10 gallon refugium idea. Put some macroalgae, like caulerpa or chaetomorpha in there, with a DSB and starter cultures of pods and sandbed creatures (check out Indo-Pacific Sea Farms or Inland Aquatics), and you will have a system to export NO3, and and provide planktonic food for your main tank. Can you drill them so water just overflows from the fuge to the main tank? It would be more convenient and avoid worries about losing the siphon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store