German Blue Ram problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChoiAquarium

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Hello.

I was interested of getting GBR, and I have researched alot about them. However I'm concerned about the Ph level of this cichlids. I have tested my ph level of tap water(7.4) and my tank ph level is 8.0, I think it's because of the coral sand as it ellevates the ph.

Should I remove all my coral sand(bothersome lol) or can I just keep the coral sand and coat it with dark coloured pebbles, as I heard they are colourful from dark substrates.

THANK YOU PPL FOR HELPING

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
I'm afraid it is going to depend on the pH where the rams are currently housed. One of our lfs's keep their South American rams in 6.5. No way are you ever going to acclimate rams to 8. If you have a local breeder who keeps them in pH 8, then you'll be ok. Otherwise, I'd remove the coral and get your pH lower. You do know blue rams come from acidic water right? They really do best in acid to neutral ph's and not so high as 8.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Interesting. I have kept my rams for almost a year at 8.0 (sometimes higher) without any problems....I would ask your supplier...LFS, breeder, whoever...what they keep them at before buying however.
Our PH is between 7.8-8.0 mostly due to the substrata i use, check the Ph at the store if you can, that will give you some idea for your acclimation process. Our lfs was around 7, and i acclimated as normal, no problems, fed a few hours later and they ate like normal........:idea:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
mostly cichlids is correct. GH is a very imprtant factor.

Blue rams ( depending on source) may be difficult to acclimate.

if local bred you may be better off as they have had generations to adapt.
that said.. Rams tend to prefer soft water(low gH)
as a result acclimating them may be key to your success.

while they may adapt to harder water..they may not thrive as well as the hardness of the water may cause osmo regulation issues.(osmosis) and may affect success if you are attempting to breed rams.

in general they usually adapt fine to harder water.
but if you have issues it may be due to the harder water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store