Keeping Cuttlefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JesterAAK

AC Members
Aug 23, 2004
Allenhurst, NJ
I've long been fascinated with Cephalopods. When I found out we were getting cuttlefish, I was pretty thrilled.

Little did I know...

4.0.0 Sepia officinalis arrived in four seperate boxes from the NRCC, the first indication that we were in for a shock. Our initial intention was to put these guys in basement holding until their tank was ready...pretty standard with quarantine protocols. Plans had to change, however, when we saw how big these guys are! They'd been living in approx. 68F water, salinity around 33-35 ppt.

Plans were quickly shifted and we moved the 4 cuttlefish to a thermally stable (approx 68F) holding approx 240 gallons. This, being not nearly enough room for these monsters, prompted a speedy transformation of the new exhibit. We lost 3 individuals initially...due to aggression and a lack of eating initially.

The tank was reconfigured, removing all sharp points that could potentially damage the animals gentle mantle, allowing "Malcolm" (his name, appropriately chosen as these animals originate in the English Channel). The new exhibit tank is a 210 gallon system, with an approx 30 gal sump.

Our current specimen has been on exhibit for about 3 weeks. He's been eating very well (whole shrimp mostly), and seems to enjoy his habitat. Lighting has been dimmed, only running 130w of PC Actinics, which have been shifted to 1/2 of the tank, providing for a nice section of darkness.

Needless to say, these animals are magnificent, however should not be attempted by the amateur.

Here's a few photos...the first of the animals in holding (for reference the heater is 14 inches long) the second is of the last one in his exhibit tank.

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Exhibit? Is this at an aquarium? I've never heard of a hobbyist keeping cuttlefish...nice pics and cuttlefish though, very pretty!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Jester: THanks for sharing those photos. They are incredible animals and facinating to study. It is unfortunate that the other two didn't make it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Gorgeous animals. Sepiids are one of the most fascinating cephalopods to me--even more so than octopi. I have found that S. officinalis is the most common one available, though if I were to construct an aquarium for them, I'd probably devote it to Metasepia pfefferi.

JesterAAK

AC Members
Aug 23, 2004
Allenhurst, NJ
Yes. To answer the question, its a public aquarium, of which I am fortunate enough to work as an Aquarist. They are absolutely magnificent. My utmost regrets that all 4 didn't make it. However such is the case when dealing with the husbandry of such fragile animals. Anywho, intial problems encountered for those interested:

1. Reflection of specimen seen in tank interior. As you all know (observing algae spots on your front piece of glass by observing from the side of the tank) everything reflects off the central pane. Malcolm showed initial aggression, as well as subsequent hostility, towards his own reflection. Findings indicate these animals have a highly developed sense of site.

2. Skin abnormality. These animals exhibit a type of surface topography. Unique to say the least.

3. Individuals found to be 9 mos in age, bred in captivity from specimens collected from the English Channel (Cherry-o)

I encourage anyone with findings, articles, reviews, on the subject to post!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store