Reverse Osmosis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tecman4

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
What would happen if I put a valve on the rejection line and turned it off?
The reason I ask is that I want to hook this up to my ice maker and I don't want to have to put in a storage pressure tank.
I would of course turn it on when I'm making water for the tanks.
Would this cause any damage?
The ice maker pulls very little water.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The water won't pass through the membrane properly--as in not at all. You can restrict the flow (with flow restrictors), but not cut it off completely. That literally defeats the purpose of reverse osmosis. You can, however, get an automatic shut off valve and use a ball valve on the product water line.

tecman4

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
The water won't pass through the membrane properly--as in not at all. You can restrict the flow (with flow restrictors), but not cut it off completely. That literally defeats the purpose of reverse osmosis. You can, however, get an automatic shut off valve and use a ball valve on the product water line.

How would this automatic shutoff work?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It works on pressure. Once a certain amount of pressure is reached (i.e. when you flip a ball valve), the automatic valve stops the flow from the tap line and keeps system filled with water (which is what you want). It then opens again when you relieve that pressure (i.e. open the ball valve).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store