Lionfish and Clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dmhand

AC Members
Oct 9, 2007
Ireland
Just wondering if anybody has ever kept a lionfish with clowns. I would really love to get a lionfish but am worried that the clowns would become a meal for the lion. I have a 200g tank with a yellow tang, sailfin tang, regal tang, yellow cheek goby, 2 common clowns, a orange skunk clown, niger trigger, picaso trigger and an algae blenny

jabberjaw

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
if you were keen on intorducing a lion into the tank, there is always the dwarf varieties. I've had one in my tank with a couple clowns & have had no problems at all.

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
As said above a dwarf lionfish is possible depending on the size of clowns. Anything that fits in their mouth is food. And their mouths open farther than some would expect.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I sure did everything wrong 30+ years ago. I had a Lion in with a clown, Yellow Tang, and other fish. I did keep the lion well fed though.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Now I know this thread is a little old, but just had to chime in. I had a maroon clown and condy anemone for 5+ years, but last November gave them away due to the size and aggressiveness of both the clown and the anemone. They both went into a new home, a 225G tank, with a 5 year old lion, 25 year old grouper, and 10 year old porcupine puffer, and 10 months later the clown and anemone are still doing fine in that tank with those other fish. The clown was big though so it probably wouldn't fit in the lions mouth, and agressive enough to hold its own, plus has a safe place to run if it really feels threatened. So it is possible, just not recommended for reasons stated in above posts.

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
Yes i have a dwarf lionfish and a clown which is about 1/3 the size of the lionfish with no problems. as long as you have an anemone with the clown i think it is fine. becuase even when my clown swims right pass his face the lionfish doesnt even look at him. the lionfish knows that its not food becuase the clown was there before him.

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
i wanted dwarf lionfish but again told if it fits in its mouth they will eat it lol
i had an immaculate puffer and it was great for months then one day bang killing spree!!!! he ate half my fish and most inverts in about ten minutes!!! it was shocking to watch! you could see him looking at me will munching on my crab as if to say sorry i cant stop its yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store