Someone please tell me their goldfish does this too...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
All right, this morning I woke up and went to go feed my fish like any other morning. I go over to the tank and I notice my big fat goldfish, Koehler, swimming oddly with his mouth open and something sticking out of it. Then I realize that that thing has a tail and that he's swallowed one of the smaller fish in the tank. At first, while I was getting a bowl to put him in so I could extract the dang creature from his mouth, I thought it was a guppy he'd eaten but then I realized that the tail was a oto tail.

Not good.

When I got him out and into the bowl, I found that the oto was suctioned on to the inside of him. We managed to pull the oto out of Koehler sans mouth part. The mouth part is still inside him but he seems to be all right...for the most part. I don't know what's going to happen but Koehler is a suicidal homicidal fish. (But I love him anyway...dumb fish...)

He's always getting gravel and algae wafer pieces stuck in his mouth and I end up having to get them out with a pair of tweezers. And then recently, he tore one of my male guppies in half trying to eat it, I guess.

Someone please tell me that their gold fish has done something similar to this... :wall: :wall: :wall:

johnhoover

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
It's always been my experience that goldfish will try to eat anything which isn't nailed down. And what they can't eat, they have a nack for destroying.

John.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
It may pay you to remove other fish in the tank that the goldy can get in its mouth..

goldfishfanatic

AC Members
Aug 27, 2008
for a start goldies are cold water fish and otos and guppies are tropical, they should be in different tanks. goldies will attempt to eat everything they can in my experience, too big or not,they will give it a go.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
My orandas get along with my pictus catfish quite well. they totally ignore her lol

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
If the gold fish is large enough, it should be in your brain that it can and will eat whatever it can fit in its mouth.

Amante_di_Betta

Anubias Harlet
May 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Gary
With the amount of waste a gold fish produces, and the fact that its a cold water fish, it should be housed alone in a tank suitable. The other fish you listed (oto's and guppies and some of the other that were listed: zebra danio etc) these are troical fish. I would re consider the stock you made.

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
Koehler and Mozart (my smaller fantail) do just fine in my tank with their tankmates except for when Koehler swallows something he shouldn't (99% of the time it's just gravel). They may be a cold water fish but, in my experience, they do fine in tropical tanks.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store