please help, problematic tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deephouse

AC Members
Sep 7, 2008
Hi Guys, new to this site, hopefully you can offer some advice, here's the deal;

30 gallon interpet/resun river reef nano tank. airstone, fish only, 7 kilo's of live rock, 6-8 weeks old...

current water conditions (an improvement on yesterday)

ph 8.2
ammonia 0.1
nitrate 10.0
nitrite 0.3
salinity 1.021
temp 27 degrees celsius

we experienced a spike after moving the live rock and doing a gravel vac

stock

stars & stripes puffer (2 inches)
porcupine puffer (2 inches)
common clown (1/2 inch)
valentini puffer (1 inch)
humbug damsel (1/2 inch)

everything was fine until about 3 weeks ago when our porcupine puffer started suffering from whitespot/ich. although tbh it could be velvet. have tried 2 different medications now, firstly esha oodinex wide range (seemingly no effect) then waited 48 hours and tried octozin flagallated protozoa on the advise of my lfs. seemingly still no effect, the porc and the s&s both seem lethargic and look visibly ill... as I'm typing this they are both sat almost completely motionless. however not breathing heavily...

any ideas?

Regards

Ben :)

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
AIR!!!!!!!
Get them air, water movement, and some carbon!!!
Quick

Then I would do an emergency water change. Sounds like the meds are doing something to thier water. Th ammonia is high, but not detrimental. The water change will help bring this down. I never test my water until 24 hours after a water change. You stir all kinds of stuff up and need to give it time to settle.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Carbon, will remove the meds from the water! It could be an OD, Mixture, or that it is just not reacting with them well. WATER CHANGE! EMERGENCY

WATER CHANGE & CARBON

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
hospital tank with hypo-salinity is the way I would go, however the bigger problem is the life of your fish right now...act quickly to get them into good water worry about the ich later.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
In my opinion those meds are not right. Personally I would get my water parameters dead on and fishes immune systems will rid the ich themselves. Try a couple of cleaner shrimp. Some people have hadd successes with ruby reef's kich-ich. If that does not work hospital tank and hyposalinity treatment would be the way to go IMO

Whatever you do no copper on the puffers!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store