Black moor eye problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
My black moor had fluid build up behind his eyes. They aren't extra buldgy and don't look like pop eye too me. In the store the fish with pop eye would have one eye that was protruding. His eyes seem the same size that they have always been. He is turning orange so its hard to tell from a photo. He naturally has protruding eyes so could it still be pop eye and just showing up differently?
A week ago I tried Tetracycline Tablets. I didn't take out my carbon though. It said you didn't have to if it was more then 6 days old. I noticed Maracyn treats something called swollen eyes so I was thinking of trying that with the carbon out. He has a tendency to bump his eyes on everything but has been like that since I got him about 2 years ago.

In the picture the whole orange part is not swollen or filled with fluid. It's flush with the rest of his eye and started turning orange way before fluid appeared. His belly is also turning orange and is getting a whole orange tint. I heard thats normal though.

In the bottom picture you can see that there is a tiny bit that isn't flush.

IMG_1697.jpg IMG_1542.JPG

Last edited:

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
UGH!! My grandmother tried to help me by cleaning under my aquarium. All my test kit stuff is mixed up or missing. I'm going to have to go get new test kits. I found some strips but not the tube that came with them. I found another tube from a kit though. Don't know how accurate this is but its the best I can do for a few hours.
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 40
Ph- 6.4
Alk- 80

I was just at the store too. I picked up neomycin by gel tek, its medicated food, and maracyn. The guy in the store said he just used gel tek on his fish for fin rot and it worked really well.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
If the fluid buildup is between the eye and the membrane, than it's probably nothing to worry about as long as it's static. If you see a lot of flux in the shape, size, or protrusion of the eye, then I'd be worried. Nothing much you can do about the fish turning orange though. Increasing sunlight, hardness, and ceasing the use of foods with color enhancing ingredients (krill, spirulina, astaxanthin sp? etc) has been reported to help maintain black based colors like chocolate, purple, blue etc...

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I tried the gel but the black moor couldn't see the drops. I mixed the drops in some peas but its been the 3 days and it hasn't seem to gotten better.

hly478

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
south
both my moor and telescopic calico are showing the same problem; i don't have water readings, but their tank mates seem without stress. their tank mates don't have wonky eyes, though! i was hoping to figure a little something out before heading to the store tomorrow.

caseyface

AC Members
May 13, 2008
Arizona
I noticed my moor has the same thing! I belive it's his right eye that looks a lot larger than the other. He seems pretty healthy and there isn't any sign of infection..

caseyface

AC Members
May 13, 2008
Arizona
Thank you for the tips. My Moor was in a tank with a bunch of other goldies, and the previous owner rarely did water changes, so I'm sure that's the cause of his "stink eye" (as I refer to it, lol). Since he's in a 10 gallon tank (for now) I'm doing 50% water changes 3 days a week. Is that too much, or too little? Is there even such a thing as too much of a water change?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store