Tang compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishinhd

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
rehoboth beach DE
Visit site
I finally have my 150 gl. in-wall tank up and running!!
I am fairly new to reef-ing, but I think I have a good start with a lot of reading and great sites like this!!
Setup as follows:
approx. 200 lbs. live rock
DSB
(2) Prizm hang on skimmers
Little giant pumping Lifegard heater mod. and fluidized bed
Aqua-lite 24" (1-36w actinic 1-36w 10k)
2 400w MH-10k
4 powerheads-3 on wavemaker/timer

Stock:
2 pink tip (haiti?) anemones
various polyps
1 clump of mushrooms(unknown species)
2 yellow tail damsels
1 clarki? clown
1 false orange skunk? clown
1 big, gorgeous yellow tang

I have digressed (to give an idea of what's goin' on)-my question is: would it be a good or bad idea to put in a Hippo Tang? Everyone seems to get along great, so I don't want to disrupt this. I have read other posts about different tangs in various size tanks.... I would just like some input. Any other fish anyone thinks would do well?? Thanks in advance!!

Mike

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
In a 150 gallon tank I don't see why you couldn't add a hippo tang. I would think it would add nicely to the tank.

fishinhd

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
rehoboth beach DE
Visit site
kreb, thanks for the response! I felt the hippo and yellow would have enough room in this tank, just wanted another opinion. Any other suggestions....don't have many corals yet (taking it slow)....don't want to overcrowd fish either....just want to add a little color. Green chromis perhaps?? Anyone??

Thanks...Mike

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Green Chromis are very peaceful fish. You could add a small school of them (3 to 5) and not have problems. As a bonus, they are great to watch swimming as a school. My only other suggestion would be to add enough live rock to give everyone good hiding places. The general rule is 1 - 1.5 lbs per gallon of live rock. Your fish will definitely appreciate the extra cover.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I just re-read your first post where you said you already have 200 lbs of live rock. Forget my last suggestion. :rolleyes:

Tiffany

Registered Member
Sep 28, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Any Pics?

Do you have any pictures of the set up?
I've been wanting to create a wall tank myself.:D

fishinhd

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
rehoboth beach DE
Visit site
Tiffany, I won't ask for your email if you don't want it known, but I can send better pics via email, because I won't have to down-size them for the board. You can email me at Fishinhd@aol.com if you want me to shoot you some pics, if not I will post what I can here!

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store