Clowns and currents

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hultman

Curmudgeon at large
Sep 19, 2004
Minnesota
I finally got around to adding some fish to my new tank.

Added four clowns yesterday. Two orange percs, one black perc and a maroon. (I understand the dynamics of the relationships between the clowns, and yes I'm experimenting a bit here.) Plus one cleaner shrimp and a purple dottyback.

The interesting thing is that when I got up this morning, all four clowns were laying on the bottom of the tank. Really snoring up a storm! I've had percs many times before, and I understand that they will sometimes sleep on the bottom of the tank, but this was exceptional. They were zonked out!

I turned on the CF lights and they did slowly rouse and within ten minutes were up and about, but I've never seen such behavior before. I think I should buy them all little blankets!

Anyway, my point is that I've never had a tank set up with as much circulation as this one, and I'm wondering if there might be a relationship between the current and this behavior. They did appear to be working harder than normal swimming in the current yesterday. And I'm a bit worried that the emerald crabs might ambush them if they sleep too hard.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to turn off the current pumps for a while?

Tank specs are:

40 gallon hex
50 lbs live rock
40 lbs live sand
6 pounds Garf Grunge
20 hermits
20 snails
Three emerald crabs
Skimmer
Sump with more live rock
UV
Mag 5 main pump
Three 400 gph circulation pumps

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No relationship, really, though stronger currents will keep them moving. Either way, it is hardly an issue for them. My get a LOT of water motion and move around all the time--even at night. Between bursts, however, they can be seen "lounging" in their anemone exhibiting the exact same behavior you described. It is just how they are. If it were me, I'd simply leave the current as is. There is no real need to reduce it.

hultman

Curmudgeon at large
Sep 19, 2004
Minnesota
Thanks for the comments. Have you ever had Emerald crabs bother sleeping fish?

I suppose adding anemones would be the best way to eliminate any potential problem, but I hadn't planned on it. These are all tank bred fish and probably don't need them, but it sure would give them a nice place to sleep! As I recall though, don't clowns tend to pair up with anemones one to one?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, emerald crabs are opportunistic. If something presents itself to them, they will likely eat it--whether that is the food you feed or a sleeping fish. Adding an anemone may or may not present much protection and certainly isn't necessary. If you do want one in the future, just research their needs as much as possible. What do you mean one-to-one? Do you mean the odds of one hosting or the number of fish per anemone? If so, then that doesn't necessarily hold true for either.

hultman

Curmudgeon at large
Sep 19, 2004
Minnesota
Adding an anemone may or may not present much protection and certainly isn't necessary. If you do want one in the future, just research their needs as much as possible.
I'm beginning to think that anemones in general might not be such a good idea in any aquarium. I've had a number of them over the years, and they always seem to die in a year or two. I've been told that the life span of an anemone in the wild is many years, and that they propogate very slowly. And I'm not aware of anyone breeding and raising them.

Perhaps I'll try a toadstool coral for the percs. I've heard they like them.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Try that first. I don't see any reason why not to try an anemone later on, especially if it is one of the tank-raised species (pretty much only Entacmea quadricolor, though they come in many attractive color morphs). There is a problem somewhere down the line if they only lasted a year or so. [Knocks on wood]While Heteractis crispa has been a problem to the tank in the past (spawning), I have been lucky in that she's been with me for almost 14 years.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
You may find you don't have 4 clowns for long. It's not advisable to mix different species, especailly in a tank the shape and size you have. Maroon clowns are the more aggressive species and you may find as it matures it will kill off the others one by one.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
You may find you don't have 4 clowns for long. It's not advisable to mix different species, especailly in a tank the shape and size you have. Maroon clowns are the more aggressive species and you may find as it matures it will kill off the others one by one.

Good save :wall:. I completely missed that part. Guess that's what I get for skimming the initial post...

hultman

Curmudgeon at large
Sep 19, 2004
Minnesota
As I mentioned in my first post, I am experimenting a little bit here. I've had the same experience you have probably had with Maroon clown aggresive behavior, but I do have a plan. I introduced all three types at the same time, with the Maroon being by far the smallest. The wild card here in my mind is the black perc. I figure the added color variety might get them to tolerate each other. Sort of a fish psychology experiement! Wish me luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store