ID needed for fish caught in Carolinas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
This little fellow was swimming in open water in a Spartina marsh on the Outer Banks. He is about 1" long.

The little guy was visible from ten feet away, making no attempt to stick to the concealment of the grass, and was swimming so weakly I easily caught him in my hand. Figuring he was on his way out, I bagged him up with the intent of later preserving him. However, he seemed to become more lively after capture, so I decided to keep him as a pet. Any information about his identity and care is much appreciated.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Y'ouch, I'd need an actual photograph. Unfortunately, I am not as familiar with native fishes as tropical marines (for the most part, anyway). My recommendation is to look in FishBase and narrow it down based upon habitat--so marsh/wetland/delta would be the place to look. It's been a while since I did research and collecting in stands of Spartina and Juncus spp.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
I dont know what kind of fish you have there. Just wanted to say that its not a wise idea to take fish that you dont know what they are, or how to care for them out of there natural habitat willingly. For all we know this could be a very rare, possibly endangered species of fish..

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
All very true, Blueiz. However, I should point out: 1) this is definitely not any of the species prohibited for take by the NC coastal fisheries division, as I made sure I could recognize these before I went collecting, and 2) I collected him with the purpose of pickling him, and I will still do so if I am unable to care for him properly.

I consider myself a conservationist, and I do try to be responsible when I collect.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
how is pickling a fish for conservation? I just don't understand.

and nice, love love the outer banks. vacation there twice a year up in Avon :)

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I'm not saying pickling the fish would be a direct boon to conservation of the species. Blueiz was pointing out that you should not take on an animal you cannot care for properly (which I whole-heartedly agree with); however, this animal was not collected primarily to be a pet but rather to be a teaching aid as part of a museum collection. I am merely giving it a reprieve by keeping it in a tank. Don't worry, if and when I decide to preserve the fish I will euthanize it as humanely as possible, with an overdose of MS-222.

The Outer Banks are one of my favorite places too. My dad lives down on Ocracoke, so I head out and visit him for a week or so in the summer.

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
Wouldnt it be more conservative to just have left the fish free in the wild instead of pickling it or by pickling do you mean your going to eat it?

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
No, I meant preserve it in a museum. Collecting the fish for a museum certainly does no more harm than collecting a fish for the pet trade or the dinner table, and probably does some good, as it helps in some small way to educate and inform future biologists.

If I had any reason to believe the fish was threatened or endangered, I would not have touched it, let alone collected it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store