Howdy! I want panel aquarium!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Is an aquarium like this worth the $350 investment and possibly saleble?

• Total voters

Black Sunshine

Pycho Novice Aquarium Builder
Sep 8, 2008
Buckeye, AZ
Hi, I joined this forum to do research on a huge aquarium construction project I am considering.

I want to build a large panel/picture-frame style aquarium. It looks like a bigger undertaking with every bit of research I do.

I started out looking to build a cheap 30 gal tank. :idea:Now it looks like I'm trying to build a priceless aquarium for about $350. I found out about the use of plywood or mdf. I have decided this will be the material I use.

I want to build an aquarium that will measure 48" tall, 24" wide and 5" deep. I think it will have sit three or four inches off the wall because most filtration systems hang on the back. I used a volume calculator I found at GARF. It said this tank would hold about 25 gal. I am still researching the best way to attach a 200lb+ aquarium to a wall.:eek3:

Construction will be complicated because I won't be able to reach inside of it. Not all of the way at least. I am researching LED lighting because they are submercible and I don't think a hood light will shine all the way to the buttom.

This project started getting really complicated when I decided this aquarium needs staggered shelves in it to maximize space. I want the shelves to be about six inches wide, with a bubble bar hidden behind each one, and LED lighting on the buttom of each as well. I may put a bubble device of some kind on the floor. I want the shelves to be kinda of like little plant boxes too. More like a tray with edges about an inch and a half tall. This will also help to hide the bubble bars.

Since the sides and back will be made of wood, I plan to drill holes for the air hoses and wires. These will all have to be installed before the wood framed glass front is installed.

If the lights generate heat then I will put them on a thermostatic control and I won't need a heater. Maybe I will have both and put the lights on a timer as well to make the aquarium seem more automated.

Has anyone seen an aquarium this crazy before? I haven't done any searching here yet, I figured I'd come in and introduce myself first. Give a shout.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
:welcome: to AC

That size a tank is not really practical 5" wide is not enough room for fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! Interesting idea that will solicit much feedback for sure.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Hello, :welcome: to AC.

A 4' tall aquarium will be very hard to clean and the glass would have to be about 1" thick makeing it very expensive to build. I also agree 5" deep is not practical.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store