20 Gallon high

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hi,

I have had my tank for a while now, and have kind of lost interest in it, but am getting back into it now. I just took back a fish and a crab to the fish store (yellowtail damsel and killer crab), and all I have left in the tank now is a small clownfish. I tested my water today for the first time in a long time, and it was very good, with pH at about 8.1, everything else was 0 (nitrite, ammonia). I was just wondering what type of fish you guys would suggest I put in there, that will be fine with a clownfish, and that is not too expensive. Also, I am cleaning out the tank today, and am thinking of getting the other fish soon.

Thanks!

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
There are lots and lots of choices, here are a few suggestions.

You could get another clown so you have a pair, just get a smaller one so they will pair up. Pair behaviour in clowns can be pretty interesting, compared with just having one.
A clown goby, very small and very cute. I love blennies sooooo much personality, a Bicolor Blenny would be a great addition. There are lots of small peaceful gobies and blennies to choose from, it basically comes down to what takes your fancy. Most are fairly hardy too. Royal Gramma, now that's a lovely looking fish. I would have one if they didn't cost $120 around here :(. Also the Purple and Orange Firefish are very pretty. Anyway just a few suggestions.

I would say you can have 3 or 4 fish in a 20g.

Last edited:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
just got home from the fish store and brought home a six-line wrasse. I look in the tank, and i'm like where the f. is my clownfish. I look all over, and can't find him. Finally, I see him stuck in my aquaclear powerhead, and i immediately turn it off, and the fish falls out; it is dead : ( It's back and body is all bruised from the suction.... Now the tank only has a six-line wrasse. What could be a good adition next to my tank? Would another clown be fine do you guys think?

thanks.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
Sixlines can be very aggressive fish, especially in smaller tanks. I used to have one and he got on okay with fish that weren't really shy but he was the last fish to go in. Some individuals can be peaceful if they're pretty small, but if an individual displays aggression once they will do so again.

If it were me I'd either leave it as a home for just the sixline, they do have great personality, or if you want more than one fish I would return him and choose more peaceful species.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
well from what I've heard and read, and heard from my fishstore normal, who is very good and knows his stuff, most six line wrasses are peaceful. I hear it is only every so often that they are aggressive. I will most likely try another clownfish or something else tomorro, so that the six line hasn't been in the tank too much longer, building territory. What type of fish would you suggest other than a clown though? If it is too aggressive, I will either move the other fish out or move out the six line.

thanks

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
A maroon clown will certainly hold his own, as well as a tomato. They are alot more aggressive than the percs.

Last edited:

antimatter

AC Members
Aug 2, 2007
With only a sixline you have a lot of options available (as long as it doesn't get agressive) . some different options would be a goby of some sort, a cardinal fish, a jaw fish, or just about any kind of clownfish. (there are more. Depends what you are looking for).

You could probably pick two of the fish in the above list I gave you, But add slowly. If you added the sixline just recently, I wouldn't get another fish for a while.

Is it FOWLR? You could always add something like a coral banded shrimp.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I just added the six line, but my clown which got sucked into the powerhead died, so it evens the load out a bit I would guess. I went ahead and added two blue-green chromis, and will see how they do with the six line. Right now, after just having been put in the tank, are still a bit confused. Actually, after about 10 minutes in the tank, they are already swimming around the middle of the tank, very actively. Oh, and are these fish ones to normally hang out around the surface, or more a long the bottom?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
Mine are very active, but spend alot of time in the rocks. They will stay close to each other, one establishing dominance over the other. As they grow they will battle more and more. They are hardy and easy to feed, as well as fairly uninterested in the other inhabitants. I have them in with a coral beauty, maroon clown, and a purple dottyback. Good luck with yours.

antimatter

AC Members
Aug 2, 2007
I like the blue green chromises. Good pick. I want to add some to my tank because they are schooling fish, but I was reading that people have trouble keeping them in schools and that they will die until there are only two or three fish left. Have you guys heard of this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store