new betta, new home?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rcaterin1

Hmmm.. What to say
Jan 12, 2006
edmonton,alberta
about 2 weeks ago i bought a crowntail for my office.... he lives in a 2 gallon bowl with an air stone for circulation. I have an unused 10 gal tank at home. now my question is should i bring the 10 gal to work at put the betta in there? and if i do use the 10 gal.... is there anything else that i can put in there with the betta

Thanks

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Yes, Im sure your betta would love you for upgrading the size of his tank! You can keep any community fish in there with it, Such as tetras, cory cats, mollies, etc.
Although they should not be kept with other labyrinth fish and Gouramis.

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
Has your 10g got a heater and filter because without these you will struggle to find any fish that will work. Crowntail bettas are the most aggressive bettas so if you add tank mates beware that you might need to remove them if they get bullied too much.

rcaterin1

Hmmm.. What to say
Jan 12, 2006
edmonton,alberta
Has your 10g got a heater and filter because without these you will struggle to find any fish that will work. Crowntail bettas are the most aggressive bettas so if you add tank mates beware that you might need to remove them if they get bullied too much.
I do have a filter and a heater.. the reason i put the 10 gal away is because i up graded to a 55 gal at home...

I'll give the 10 gal a good rinse down and haul it into work.....lol he'll probably be by himself.. lots of open waters i guess

Thanks for the advice guys

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
It really depends on the disposition of your betta. No shrimp, as even the placid bettas will rip a shrimp apart. No pleco, they have a huge bioload and outgrow your tank. You could try snails, as most (read: not all) bettas ignore them.

However, if you monitor your betta at feeding time and feed floating foods, there's not really a risk of uneaten food reaching the bottom of the tank. Any additional critters you add you'll just have to feed too, and that sort of negates the purpose of a "clean up crew"

rcaterin1

Hmmm.. What to say
Jan 12, 2006
edmonton,alberta
It really depends on the disposition of your betta. No shrimp, as even the placid bettas will rip a shrimp apart. No pleco, they have a huge bioload and outgrow your tank. You could try snails, as most (read: not all) bettas ignore them.

However, if you monitor your betta at feeding time and feed floating foods, there's not really a risk of uneaten food reaching the bottom of the tank. Any additional critters you add you'll just have to feed too, and that sort of negates the purpose of a "clean up crew"
Thanks for the tip....

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
i have my crowntail w 2 bleedin heart tetras ( i know they should keep in group of 6 atleast but a group of them will be too big for my 10g ) he chase them sometimes but not major problem at all .. test urs w some tetras and see what will happen ;) i used to keep a cory and after that an small (bout 1") rainbow shark with him but he bit the HELL outa them !

<==== here he is

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
get a type of corydoras to clean the bottom, a few of them would be perfect in your 10.. And they are bottom dwellers so they will stay out of your betta's way :)

rcaterin1

Hmmm.. What to say
Jan 12, 2006
edmonton,alberta
get a type of corydoras to clean the bottom, a few of them would be perfect in your 10.. And they are bottom dwellers so they will stay out of your betta's way :)
awesome.... i can get some panda cories (???).... also in terms of water temp... what do crowntails prefer??? ive tried searching the net but no luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store