new guy!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

themann

-Themann
Sep 10, 2008
new york
hello everyone! I'm 19 and in college, but don't let that fool you into thinking i'm an irresponsible kid, I love my Fish! I just got a black moor named Lenny! I originally named it Oppenheim (like the a-bomb guy) but it took him a while to figure out how to get to his food at the top, so i went with a less genius name... Any way Lenny's doing great. Im a newbie but gettin very into fish! hope you guys can help with my questions.

Also I know now it is way too small of a tank for a black moor as I got the fish for my birthday to bring to school and did no research on the subject. Its one of those little 2.5g tanks that come as a kit. Anyway there is a 10g tank limit here at school so I cant go any bigger than that. I know 10g is pretty much the minimum for these guys, but is there anything i can put in there with it so he can be social? Also until I get a bigger tnak for him I have been using a the gravel vac and constatnly monitoring the pH, doing small water changes as much as possible to keep it clean in there, but not too much because i know thats bad too, I mean I have only had him since august, so he is still a short guy, only a couple inches, I just dont want to stunt his growth Anyways, Any suggestions as to plants and other things i can add to the 10 gallon tank for Lenny? Thanks for any help guys and gals!

-themann

p.s. his tank is on my desk near my bed. I dont mind the light in the tank but im always afraid to turn it off at night so i usually leave it on. Can they see without any lights on? I keep having this fear he will swim right into the wall at full speed and break an eye or somethign horrific.

p.s.s. the pics are kinda hard too see, it took me a while to get them on my cellphone, which has a crumby camera, and hes swimming a lot so it kept being blurry. Anyway one you can see his whole body pretty well and one i got his face so you can see his awkwardly large yet awesome eyeballs!

lenny.jpg lenny2.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! Please start a thread in the coldwater section regarding your questions. Briefly, your water changes will not hurt anything provided the temp is matched and you use a dechlor. Personally, I would have him in a minimum of 20 gal long. And yes, you can turn off the light at night.

themann

-Themann
Sep 10, 2008
new york
thanks! i might just set up a nice tank at home and leave him there, so he has plenty of room to grow in. thanks for the help
-themann

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
welcome

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store