Bottom Dweller for Newbie!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
Hello,

have a 40 gal tank, cycled with 5 platy, 1 swordtail and 2 silver tetras. Planning on stocking more but 1st.. I need a bottom dweller!

I have a few plants on diftwood and I need some algae eating dweller..

Are there other options besides an otto or a shark?

Worried about the size and group number (to be kept in..) as I will be adding more (yet to be decided) fish and some more aquascaping materials..

thanks!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
what about a bristlenose pleco, they would do well in your tank size and are peaceful. They would need to be target fed veggies or wafers as well.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
For something a bit different, how about an apple snail and/or some glass shrimp? They are fun to have in a tank and do not require much....and they get along great in a community of smaller fish. (This is with some type of algae eater-like a goby!)

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Bamboo and Ghost shrimp (or glass shrimp as they are sometimes called) are both very fun to watch. I have never had great luck with the bamboo shrimp (still no idea why), but ghost shrimp seem to live forever in my 40 gal community tank. :)

They also keep my white gravel looking white! Ok maybe the Oto's help, but still. I like to think they do their fair share.

Bristlenose plecos are cool too - but I have never been a huge pleco fan. IMO they make more of a mess than they clean up. Then again, I've only ever had common plecos (my biggest was 19" before I had to rehome him because he outgrew my biggest tank). He made HUGE messes!! The thing was a pooping machine!! LOL

Anyhow, I happen to think that the shrimp are such fascinating creatures. Plus their bioload is next to nothing. I believe I've got around 8 of them in my 40 gallon right now. Problem is they are so teeny at this point. My big ones didn't survive the 1000 mile move I made a few months ago from RI to GA. So I had to restock, and the PetSmart here only has these teeny little ghost shrimp. I'm talking smaller than my pinky fingernail. And unfortunately I believe a lot of them are becoming dinner for my yoyo loaches... Ah the cycle of life... ;)

Cory cats are also fun little critters, though they are not much on eating algae. At least not as far as I am aware.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. :)

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
haha thanks for the replies... will do more research on the bristlenose pleco, I believe its the catfish with spikes on it..

I have considered snails and shirmps but I dont really have a lot of knowledge and experience in them.. heck, I dont have a much of knowledge and experience either and im supposed to be better with them..
I am afraid that shirmps will be prey for my other fishes.. (i intend to get a betta later on) and also I read that snails might be a terror to plants and will introduce parasites and all..

thanks

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
None of the fish that you listed should bother the shrimp. It is *possible* that the betta could bother them in the future, but I've had many betta fish in my lifetime and none of them have been shrimp killers, so I would not really worry about that too much either.

But whatever floats your boat. :)

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
If you want a pleco you could get a bristlenose or clown pleco. Neither will eat much algae tho. If your having an algae issue I would reduce the amount of time your lights are on, and the amount your feeding.

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
If you want a pleco you could get a bristlenose or clown pleco. Neither will eat much algae tho .
bristlenoses are great for algae. disregard this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store