Stocking Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morkusmaximus

Hobbyist
Jul 21, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So just before this I spent a half hour (ish) typing a nice, polite background story/autobiography explaining this question, tried to download the spell check option (I am not that great of a speller) and it erased everything. So due to lack of time I am just going to hit the highlights

- I really like this forum, it has really helped my tank, my fish, and me in the last three weeks I have used it.
- I am relatively new to the hobby (a year) and have had a real rough intro, lost allot of fish, but have learned allot in the process
- I really like Marble Sailfin Plecos. I had one as my first real; non-Miejers (North-west's Wal-mart) fish in my first ten-gallon tank and love its look ALOT! However, during a move it was injured and I had to put it down (could spell the past tense word for euthanasia.
- I am having minor algae problems in my hardy, planted tank (I just added tank details to my profile so I hope they show up) and don't like the look and the snail can't do the job alone.
- I want another Marble Sailfin Pleco, BUT it grows to 12 inches, and as a good hobbyist (or at least the one I inspire to be) I can't put it in a 29 gallon tank, and don't think the option of upgrading will be a realistic option in the time the fish will need it. (I'm a full time college student living in apartments and moving on a yearly/bi-yearly basis.
- THE POINT: Does anyone know of a good substitute for a Marble Sailfin Pleco that has the fin structure, minor shade changing, algae/dead plant eating power, and temperament of a Marble Sailfin, but not the size?

Thank you in advance for the help anyone gives me! This forum and its members are great!

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
i dont know of any pleco that is smaller but still looks the similar to the sailfin but i do know that oto cats are small(max at about 2in) and eat many kinds of algae and wont harm living plants and they do look pretty cool

now for you current stocking i would add a minimum of 3 more neon tetra, and a minimum of 5 more silver tipped tetra, and it would be beneficial to add another female guppy so that your current female doesnt get pestered too much by the needs of the male

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Rubber lips and bushy nose stay under 5 inches and don't munch on live plants much. They don't really have a similar fin structure, but are peaceful and a fairly hardy.

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
i just picked up a clown pleco and it cleared up my algae in about a day! they dont grow too big either, should fit nicely in a 29. Just make sure there's some driftwood in there. Also, search the forums for pleco diet. there's a GREAT thread about what types of food they like/need.

Morkusmaximus

Hobbyist
Jul 21, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oh yeah, Mustang boy, I am in the process of adding those extra tetra's. I was nervous about over stocking originally, but no more. Now I just need to find a pet store that has a good/non-diseased stock of fish. Also, I am a little nervous about the silver tipped tertas. The one I have really bullies the female guppy to the point where I have had him quaritined in a betta/breeder intank cage for about 2 weeks now. I am headed to the pet store this weekend to get more of those tetra's

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
yea i would try adding more silver tips cause he may just be doing that cause he has no one of his own kind in there so maybe having more of them will create a safer environment for the rest of the fishes

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Be careful if you get a clown pleco. They need driftwood and you'll probably never see him (they're great nontheless). :)

Morkusmaximus

Hobbyist
Jul 21, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was thinking about a butterfly or pretty pleco. It is very similar to the clown pleco. Anyone have any advice/warnings about this decision? Also if I can't find a butterfly pleco I was looking at a tiger pleco which one website said was the same as a clown. The markings on both are really cool and the size is perfect.

Also this is my tank.

Do you think that little rock stack/cave will be enough cover? Also, when I had the Marble, he would hide out inside the conk shell. Will that work or is it to small. It is getting pretty crowded in there and I am very OCD about my tanks look (hence the reason this is a problem.) I don't really was some stupid hollow shark cave, or anything like that.

Thanks again everyone for all the help! : D!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store