Discus Breeder Questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hi! Finally after 4 months of preparation and research... I plan on purchasing my discus next week. But before I do... I narrowed down a breeder here in New Jersey. It's called Discus Madness. I was just wondering if anyone from the NY/NJ area has done business with them and what other peoples experience with them on this forum. Looking forward to everyones input. Thanks.

Marl

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
I wouldn't know, but a sponsor of simplydiscus (a great site and discus forum!) is supposedly a great discus importer, slightly expensive, but great high quality discus! His name's Kenny http://kennysdiscus.net/ I would suggest going to simplydiscus.com and join there, you can get some great info. and suggestions there.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
My first discus purchases as a discus newbie were from an LFS. Of course I thought they were beautiful, but turns out they were all sick even when they arrived at the pet store, so of course all of them eventually died. My next discus purchase, after I had learned lots more things about them was from Mathius at Discus Madness. He's a great guy. Yes, I noticed some of his tanks were marked "feed medicated food", but I didn't buy from those tanks. But yet I struggled with those fish two, a few hundred dollars worth of juvies in all, and learned much more about discus while I was trying to raise that tank up. I do not have any of those fish today either, lost some and gave some away. They just didn't turn out to be the fish I had hoped for so long and I also struggled with some illnesses with them. Got burnt once more with a handful of juvies from someone out in Ohio. My first mail order discus juvies. When they arrived they were in toxic, smelly water, stressed all to heck, lost one, and saved the other 5 only to realize they were stunted. Then I learned about SimplyDiscus, met Kenny, and bought some of the most fantastic fish imported from top Asian breeders, but not hormoned either. Young, healthy juvies. Disease and parasite free. Vigorous, full of spunk and appetites like elephants. Shipped with perfection, no smelly ammonia filled water or ammonia burns on the fish, fish eating and swimming like they never left home soon after putting them in my tanks. I have also bought from Mike Beals at codiscus.com in Galena Ohio. He was importing fish from the same Asian breeder as Kenny, some different strains though. And while all the sponsors on simply discus have fabulous discus to choose from, I can personally tell you save yourself a lot of headaches and choose one of the sponsors on that forum. Shipping these days is not cheap and must be done overnight with discus but it's money well spent in the end. My discus are all huge healthy thick discus with great personalities! So I say skip all the hard steps and heartaches and expense I went through and go with a sponsor over on simply.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
:iagree: If you look closely at the pictures on Discus Madness the fish IMO just don't look right.

I was [FONT=&quot]Privileged[/FONT] to be able to buy 2 of Debbi's Discus and I have seen most of her discus and other fish and can say she is being modest her fish all of them are exemplery. I now will only buy from breaders she recomeds.

Kenny's central ohio discus

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
I wouldn't know, but a sponsor of simplydiscus (a great site and discus forum!) is supposedly a great discus importer, slightly expensive, but great high quality discus! His name's Kenny http://kennysdiscus.net/ I would suggest going to simplydiscus.com and join there, you can get some great info. and suggestions there.
My first discus purchases as a discus newbie were from an LFS. Of course I thought they were beautiful, but turns out they were all sick even when they arrived at the pet store, so of course all of them eventually died. My next discus purchase, after I had learned lots more things about them was from Mathius at Discus Madness. He's a great guy. Yes, I noticed some of his tanks were marked "feed medicated food", but I didn't buy from those tanks. But yet I struggled with those fish two, a few hundred dollars worth of juvies in all, and learned much more about discus while I was trying to raise that tank up. I do not have any of those fish today either, lost some and gave some away. They just didn't turn out to be the fish I had hoped for so long and I also struggled with some illnesses with them. Got burnt once more with a handful of juvies from someone out in Ohio. My first mail order discus juvies. When they arrived they were in toxic, smelly water, stressed all to heck, lost one, and saved the other 5 only to realize they were stunted. Then I learned about SimplyDiscus, met Kenny, and bought some of the most fantastic fish imported from top Asian breeders, but not hormoned either. Young, healthy juvies. Disease and parasite free. Vigorous, full of spunk and appetites like elephants. Shipped with perfection, no smelly ammonia filled water or ammonia burns on the fish, fish eating and swimming like they never left home soon after putting them in my tanks. I have also bought from Mike Beals at codiscus.com in Galena Ohio. He was importing fish from the same Asian breeder as Kenny, some different strains though. And while all the sponsors on simply discus have fabulous discus to choose from, I can personally tell you save yourself a lot of headaches and choose one of the sponsors on that forum. Shipping these days is not cheap and must be done overnight with discus but it's money well spent in the end. My discus are all huge healthy thick discus with great personalities! So I say skip all the hard steps and heartaches and expense I went through and go with a sponsor over on simply.
:iagree: If you look closely at the pictures on Discus Madness the fish IMO just don't look right.

I was [FONT=&quot]Privileged[/FONT] to be able to buy 2 of Debbi's Discus and I have seen most of her discus and other fish and can say she is being modest her fish all of them are exemplery. I now will only buy from breaders she recomeds.

Kenny's central ohio discus
Thank you very much guys for sharing your info with me. One of the mian reasons that I was looking into Discus Madness was the proximity of the breeder to me. And also the prices that they were offering. I was trying to avoid the shipping costs but after reading Pinkertd trials and tribulations with her discus from the mentioned breeder and others I will take your advice to heart. I will do some more research and start posting questions on this forum before I take the plunge and purchase my discus. I will definitely be looking into purchasing them from Kenny. Again thanks for the advice. Someday I would really like to see your discus Debbi :)

Marl

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I was [FONT=&quot]Privileged[/FONT] to be able to buy 2 of Debbi's Discus and I have seen most of her discus and other fish and can say she is being modest her fish all of them are exemplery.
Thanks Robert, they are my "pride and joy"!

Again thanks for the advice. Someday I would really like to see your discus Debbi :) Marl
Marl, it is my pleasure to be able to help other hobbyists to be successful with this hobby! If you have a certain strain of discus in mind I'll be glad to try to help you find the sponsor with them. (The discus carried at discus madness for the most part are coming from his partner in California. There's not a lot of breeding going on by Mathius himself.) And you are welcome to come and see my discus any time! But do not bring a bucket with you!!:grinno:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
good call Deb:clap::clap:
start with a good source and good stock.

makes keeping discus a bit easier

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
The pictures the head to eye proportions are off. the eye size should be as close to 1/7 the size of the head top to bottom. If that is off you could have a stunted discus.

Not a 100% determining factor but I personally use that when buying my discus form LFS. Which I don't do any more. you will get better quality discus from breeders that have been mentioned here as well as popopsfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store