Light Dimmer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifire22

Hook 'em Horns
Nov 7, 2005
Ohio
I've been looking into it and was wondering if anyone had a set up with their lights on timers that gradually go on and off. I already have my lights on timers just was curious to see if anyone attempted this and how they went about doing.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
my large tanks are all on timers.

reverse photo period on the fuge for the marine tank.. lights ans solenoid for co2 on timer for planted 75.

I just use the cheapie timers like http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416V6RRCJ1L.jpg

I find them at lowes or home depot
even wally world

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
I think the OP is asking if anyone has them timed to dimmers that will slowly bring them from 0%(off) to 100%.

Something like that would probably cost more than it would be worth to your average individual. You won't see any improved growth in your tank because of it, if that's what you're asking.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
dont think i'v ever heard of a flourescent light that works on a dimmer

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I've read about people who have multiple lights on their tank that go on and off at different times to give the illusion of the light getting dimmer or brighter.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
dont think i'v ever heard of a flourescent light that works on a dimmer
There are CFL's that work on dimmers. Also, there are tubes which, with some help from the ballast, can dim to below 50% original output without wasting any overhead power. Basically the electronic ballast cycles the bulbs on/off 20,000 times per second instead of the 60 you get from household current(this is why some people, sometimes, can see them "flickering"). You can drop the amount of time the lights are left on for, the frequency, but leave the amplitude alone, and this dims them. That's not exact, but that's the gist of it.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The dimmable spiral cfls don't always work with regular dimmer switches. I had 2 of 4 or 5 quit working after using 1-3 times, not worth it to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store