10 gallons. $100

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
ok im trying to convince my parents to let me change one of my 10 gallons into a saltwater mini reef. the only thing is, i have about 100 bucks. actually more like $70 bcuz i have to buy salt. i want to get Silver Branch Pumping Xenia, but im not sure on what it needs. i can get 4WPG and i can get a 240gph circulation pump, but are these enough? also if i get these are there anyfish/other corals i can get. keep in mind i only have 70 bucks after the salt.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
how much will the live rock/sand cost me?

cweber

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
Oklahoma
You will need about 10-15lbs each of sand and LR. You can find LR online for around $4 a lb. Check your lfs also, but mine sell theres for $9 a lb. Check bulkreefsupply.com, they sell dry rock for about $2.5 a lb, but it will take longer for your tank to establish. Maybe a mix of dry and live to keep cost down. Sand will be around $20 for aragonite. You can get pulverized limestone at Home Depot for $5 but its VERY dusty. Any time you touch the sand it will cloud the tank. Hope that helps.:)

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
thanks i like the mandarin fish in your avy. i think ill go with the dry and just stick it out until the tank is ready for stuff in it. that way a i can collect mon33z for more stuff while its getting ready for animals. that is if my parents let me go through with this. i just had my 10 gal opened up today. 20 bucks for sand isnt to bad, since i paid like 30 bucks for some stupid colored rocks at petsmart.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Dont forget aboout water changes. You'll have to have enough salt to mix up to do them, or buy pre'mixed saltwater from your lfs.

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
Lets see I'm no reef expert but I am looking in to starting a tank too. It has been recommended to me to go with a 30 gallon or above, because SW tanks are less forgiving of unstable water parameters. If you do this right from the start, it will end up costing you less money down the road. Say you buy a something shoddy just to save money, you'll just need to spend more money to replace it. Also, if you do more research and get the bigger tank, you might be able to keep that mantis shrimp you love. Here's a list I have so far:

-live rock @ the rate of 1.5 lbs per gallon

-Aragonite sand

-protein skimmer (clean before use)-must for a beginner. The good quality ones seem to be $100 on their own

-submersible heater- under $20

-salt mix

-RO/DI water- you will either have to buy jugs of this or buy an RO/DI unit that converts your water. You would save more money in the long run if you buy the unit. As you are trying to use a small tank you'll need to do lot of water changes

-lighting -do more research as to what your desired coral needs.

-25x water circulation achieved through powerhead or other means

-Reef test kit- $ 30 very very important. You need reef specific tests kits so you can monitor calcium among other things. (Also, i looked at your coral just briefly and you might need to add trace elements to your water. So you'll need to buy the trace elements and probably a test kit for them too)

-refractometer-ensures your water has the proper specific gravity. These things are definitly over $30 new.

-background or paint the back of your tank to make your corals stand out more

Since I figure you don't have a store in your area that sells these things (you eluded to it in your post asking where to buy a coral. Stores who sell corals sell this stuff) You probably need to factor in shipping costs too.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
well the only problem is that with 30 gallons it will cost me about 100 for the tank than about 90-150 bucks a year for salt. and for me thats alot of money thats why im going small. i would still like to have a mantis but they are just to picky on theyre tank mates (basically none) and i dont think i can get him the live food he will require. i just want to try to get a small nano reef like thing going bcuz it will be cheaper for me mainly bcuz i dont have a job and it may be awhile b4 i get one. so my only source of income is when my neighbors go on vacation.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
I think you would have a really tough time with even a nano reef tank on that budget...everything Ashley Kimball mentioned is necessary for a reef tank. Like she said, a refractometer alone (necessary to accurately measure salinity) is $30-$50, not to mention live rock, test kits, powerheads, protein skimmer, RO/DI water, correct lighting....I'm not sure exactly how much $$ that is, but a lot more than $100, and that doesn't include the tank itself, or the corals. Salt water is an expensive hobby, that's the reason I haven't gotten into it myself yet.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I would just wait until you're able to get a job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store