29gal 1 angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
I recently had a tank catastrophy that left me with 1 lone angelfish in my 29gal. The water quality issue that caused it is now under control and I'm looking into some new tank mates. Another angelfish is not an option because the last one that was in there harrassed the one I have now and I don't think "she" misses "him" one bit. (previously had 2 angels and 1 serpae tetra)
I do get quite a bit of brown algae on the sides of the tank due to the amount of sun that room gets. So I want to get an otto, someone had said they had 3 in their 29gal. Is it best to keep them with other otos?
I'm not sure what other tankmates would be appropriate and I would appreciate any opinions. I had considered a Dwarf Gourami or some zebra danios. Now that there is only the 1 angelfish I feel I have more room so I could possibly add a school of something or a larger single fish.
I know you all probably get sick of people asking for your opinions on this matter. But I didn't want to make any mistakes that could make life unhappy for my angel.
Thanks

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
29g tank:

1 angelfish
3 otos
1 dwarf Gourami
5 zebra danios
3 cory cats

should be fine.

Granted you have ample filtration and water changes. Don't add all the fish at once, however.

Last edited:

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Slappy,
That sounds like a nice variety. My only concern is that the danios might bother the Angel because they are so quick moving. Do you think this would be the case? I hope not I really would like them they are really a pretty fish.
Also, I read somewhere on here that the dwarf gourami might be fin nippy? But I never had heard that before I read that post??
I do really like the sounds of this tank set up though. It would be nice to have that kind of variety in my tank. It would be more interesting to watch.
Thanks,
Pugfish

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
The danios..That would be my biggest concern, and it did cross my mind, as well. The dwarf gourami isn't much of a "nipper"...only to other dwarf gouramis..so it shouldn't be a problem. Typically, gouramis and angels prefer the company of calm fish, so the danios "may" bother them. But many people keep them together with little problem. An alternative to danios might be a small barb like cherry barbs.

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
I've observed danios and angels living together, even in an overcrowded 25 gallon there was no fin nipping. The danio outlived the angels (4 yrs old) and there weren't any serious conflicts.

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
That is so funny that you should mention the cherry barb. I have been interested in them before. I had actually considered adding one now. I have read that they are not fin nippers(somewhere) but the local fish store people told me that all barbs are fin nippers. That really isn't the case though, is it? Do you know if the cherry barbs are better on there own or should they be kept in pairs? I have heard both.

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Yashinfan,
I wasn't worried that the danios would be nippy, only that their quick movements would make the Angel nervous. I have a soft spot for her and would feel terrible if she were unhappy or stressed. She will eat right out of your hand, and seems to wag her tail when she sees the can of food.:)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Cherry barbs are probably the most gentle of all barbs...Very reserved and quiet, normally doesn't nip at other fish at all. All barbs and danios need to be kept in schools. I would get at least 3 barbs. Five or more would be better and you would see more of their natural behavior in groups. If you get cherries instead of danios, get 5.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
The danio group (preferred with danio's) wouldn't cause a problem in the area of fin-nipping to the angel, but like mentioned earlier in this thread, may cause stress due to their activity. They are pretty active while the Angel is more slow moving. If the Angel is small, the problem would be less severe I would guess, it's when the Angel reaches adult size that it is a slow mover and would prefer a calmer tank. Danio's and Angels are known to cohabitate but I would assume that is when the tank is bigger and there is more room for the community. I've kept a group of danio's with my Angels before in my 55 gal. (a long time ago) and decided it'd be best to separate them. Currentlly, I've got one lone stubborn danio in with a group of Angels, only because the danio refuses to let me net him (he's a quick little bugger) to move him with the rest of his buddies. So, long story short, it can be done, but isn't the best situation.

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
While many barbs are nippy, cherries are a very nice exception. "All barbs are nippy" is just a pet store genralization just like "All livebearers need hard water (or salt)" and "All cichlids are aggressive." They are schoolers just like the danios but a lot less frenetic. Make sure to have a nice mixture of males and females and the boys colour up beautifully!

Hehe, funny you asked about the gourami being a threat to the angel, I was thinking the exact opposite! Angels aren't always among the "nicest" of fish as you've already seen, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store