Pearl Gourami vs. Sterbai Cories

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
I have 2 Sterbai Cories left of 5...my Pearl Gourami terrorizes them, and I'm pretty sure he was the cause of death of the other 3. I don't have another tank to place them in, and the LFS will not take them back.

So I'm stuck with them. He constantly chases them. Pearls are normally peaceful...and I've never heard of Gourami vs. Cory aggression. Could it be because the Sterbai Cories have a pattern of tight spots similar to those of the Pearl Gourami? Would he be equally as aggressive to a solid-colored Cory like, say, a panda or albino cory?

I'm frustrated, and I love cories, so I would really like to keep a school in my tank. Maybe I'll try a smalls chool of Pandas to see how the gourami responds...

Thoughts? Experiences? Comments? Any and all are welcome.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
do you have enough decoration in teh tank? Perhaps add some hiding spots for the cories so they can escape the gourami better.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Well, I'm waiting for the plants to grow out. I was planning on using the plants as the "hiding cover". I just installed a Co2 system, so hopefully the plants will start to grow more quickly now.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
some clay pots and/or caves should give them enough cover. As long as they aren't in the visible sight range of the gourami they should be fine. The won't come out as much but at least they won't be stressed to death. I'd get rid of the gourami(local ad) or something, goodluck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store