Dwarf Gourami Breeding behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
So, I made the mistake of reducing the output on my filter again and my adult male DG quickly built a massive bubble nest using a large chunk of moss and bits of other plants. I have been feeding my DGs black worms and flakes supplemented with algae tablets meant for my snails as well as cyclops.

Now, I have been told by many folks on this forum that I possess two males. However, during the past 1hr(in fact, they are doing it right now) my big male has been "embracing" the smaller "male" undeneath the bubble nest for up to 20seconds at a time. So.. Are my gourami's *** or am I seeing proper first time breeding behavior?

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
I have seen my (definitely male) dwarf gouramis do this with each other from time to time. It is very easy to tell if you have a male or female - females are a dull gray color, males have the bright colors. Oftentimes fish of the same sex will show breeding behavior with one another, especially when there isn't one of the opposite sex in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store