How fast do fish REALLY grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dekz

AC Members
Jul 29, 2008
Seems like every time I see a fish that I really like, I do some research and find out that they grow to be 12" or even larger.

Frontosa, Iridescent Sharks, Plecos, etc.

But how long does this take? I know, you are going to say that they are way too many factors, etc, but ballpark it. 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, more?

I mean it would appear that 50% of the fish in any pet store require over 100 gallon tanks in the long run, and I can't imagine that very many people have tanks that size.

LesbianChap

Don't ask, I'll tell.
Jan 2, 2006
Florida
I've heard of/seen some species grow more then an inch a month...I've seen others that grew a lot slower.

Depends on the species and the conditions in which they are kept...but a lot faster then to expect to be able to upgrade your tank every time they get too big...best to have their final home already.

maxthedog123

Can't have too many Tiger Barbs...
Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
I bought "large" tiger barbs that were about an inch long last summer. They are 2 to 2.5 inches now - listed as max size about 3 inches. I just bought a couple to replace the inevetable loss at the bottom of the tiger pecking order and they look TINY.

The bottom line is you can house fish that will grow larger in a tank that is "too small" and plan on moving a fish to a bigger tank but you have to be careful with that. What if you can't afford that new tank next year? What will you do with that cute Bala Shark that is now 8 inches long in a 20g tank?

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
some grow really fast. some grow slower. my plec grew from less than three inches to about 7 or 8 in just over a year. my lungfish grew from 8" to 25" in a year and a half. my angel fish is still growing and seems to be growing about a half inch everymonth. many others grow at about an inch a month or more. a lot of people do buy fish too large for their tanks because they are misinformed. i bet half or more of the fish lps sells in a year are killed by people who don't know what they are doing. time goes faster than expected sometimes and the next thing you know, that lil' half inch fishy is six or seven inches and growing fast when you haven't even had time to start saving up for a bigger tank yet. i am not perfect but if i had the chance i'd go back on a lot of my beginner fish purchases and get something a little more suitable for the tanks i already had. of course if i had i'd probably still just have one 10g

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
also, most large fish grow really fast for the first couple years of their life and only slow down once they have reached close to their max size

TMDragon

AC Members
Feb 24, 2008
Southern California
I've heard of/seen some species grow more then an inch a month...I've seen others that grew a lot slower.

Depends on the species and the conditions in which they are kept...but a lot faster then to expect to be able to upgrade your tank every time they get too big...best to have their final home already.
:iagree: Assuming you keep your water pristine, a fish's growth rate would be determined by its species and the individual fish. For example, Silver Arownas grow 1''-1.5'' per month on average while young. Mine grew 1.25''-1.5'' per month until it hit about 15'' where it started to slow down a bit, but I've seen specimens that grew 2'' per month.

There is also someone that owns a baby arapaima on MFK and kept a log on its growth. If I remember correctly, it grew 4''-6'' Per month.

Backing up a bit though, Silver Arowanas grow to about 3 feet and Arapaimas reach 8-10 feet on average. Of course these are specialty fish.

In the case of more common tropical fish that reach about 1 foot, given proper conditions, most will reach max size in about a year, again depending on the species.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
As a "wild" general rule: smaller fish grow faster than larger fish when done in %-wise. A full grown tigerbarb can reach max size in about 18 months +/-. OTH - a common plec wont reach max size for about 5-7 years and can continue to grow up until the end of life expectancy (10 years). An Oscar can reach adult size in 2 years or less and will also continue to grow until end of life expectancy (10+). Larger fish may reach adult size a bit slower but continue growing until they die (assuming proper care).

GloriaB

Registered Member
Oct 2, 2008
Hi folks. I'm a new member, drawn here by this thread. I was looking for info on cory cat growth rates because of an odd development in my 20 gal. community (danios mainly) tank. I added two babies to a cycled tank which already had 2 adults (these are all albinos, btw). About a week ago, one of the little fellas seemed sick. He had that red patch around his gills, was losing color and squirming around like a nut. I surfed around and figured out I needed to a water change right away (even tho the water tested fine with my cheap kit). With water change and additional filtering, he regained his health (and composure!). Looks pretty happy, though he is (and always has been) solitary, not hanging with the adults as his brother does. Now I notice he is half the size of his brother. That guy is almost as big as the adults but this formerly-ill one is still as small as when he got here. Did illness stunt his growth, or was the other little guy secretly older? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Gloria

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store