Sand Substrate or Gravel Substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which substrate size is good for a planted tank substrate?

• Sand

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Small Gravel

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Larger Gravel (Pea Gravel)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • They will all work good

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
:fairy:
Please discuss the goods and bads of these substrates and explain your given answer.

I would like this topic to show everyone the goods and bads about each type of substrates, and a explanation in detail if possible as to why one is good and why the other may be a bad choice.

Last edited:

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
I love my pool filter sand. With gravel, left over food and poo would sink way down and be near impossible to clean; with the PFS everything stays on top and is just takes a quick easy vac to clean up! JMO

hirschy75

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
gravel may be a little harder to clean but it can be shaped much better than sand and i just like the look of rocks, sand isn't to interesting but it depends on the effect you want

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I like sand, as long as it isnt brown. Black or white for me :)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Sand allows for quicker rooting but is harder to clean. I personally like small gravel as it seems to be the best of both worlds (i.e. sand/gravel) and does well to hold nutrients in.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I have gravel in my 75 and it was working ok. I recently added eco complete...

the eco came nearly as a sand(mixed sizes with mostly course sand size)

I love the mix with gravel and eco.. the eco is much easier to get the plants down into and holds the plants about 75 % better.
in a week I have already noticed improved growth and color in the plants.

chenya

AC Members
Apr 29, 2006
Central IL
I use a natural looking gravel about the same size as pea gravel. In my pond I use pea gravel. Don't see why you couldn't use that instead. I have never used in my aquariums, however. You would have to rinse it very well, but you have to with aquarium gravel anyway Overall, it is up to you.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I like eco complete best, or a soil type substrate. Then gravel, and lastly sand (for aesthetic reasons). I find that the eco complete and soil substrates allow for really nice root development. Gravel does just fine for lower tech stuff. Sand has to be stirred to prevent anaerobic gas pockets.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
I voted small gravel. Imo its so much easier to clean than sand and looks good as apposed to pea gravel with only belongs on a walkway. Again IMO. Ime small gravel works well for atleast low light plants although I did just upgrade to the eco complete. But EC wasn't a voting option.

dhgyello04

AC Members
Sep 15, 2008
Manteca, CA
Hello people.. I have gravel in my 90 gallon with my UGF (Yes I also have a Canister Filter on it) and I have pool filter sand in my 46 gallon bow. I like the sand better I don't think I will go back to gravel.
Don

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store