Black water/African Cichlids.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
So I love the look of a black water tank, does anyone know if a Lake Malawi tank could work as Black water? I can't remember who, but someone posted up pics of their black water set up and it looked so awesome with the floaty plants and the roots hanging from them and everything, I just loved it. I was thinking it was a Cichlid tank but I could be wrong.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
YAY!! Now my problem is I am soooo confused about which I want to go with. I know I want a all male tank, so I can have one of several species...but trying to decide the species is sooooo very hard.
I figure by the time I have the tank set up, the cycle finished and all that stuff I should be able to decide. I am just so bad at this kinda think...I want em ALL!

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
The term "blackwater" automatically means softer water, which will not work well with africans. The look could work, just not the water chemistry.
Yeah? I was thinking it was from the rift lakes?

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Ya know what...I think it was when I had my SA cichlids and they could be blackwater..IDK, I'll have to do some more looking I spose.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Yeah, it's the New World species that can live in blackwater. Blackwater is black due to the presence of large amounts of tannic and humic acids from decaying plants; hard water (such as that found in the rift lakes) will neutralize tannic acid and prevent the water from staining. You could always just use a black background with your Africans.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Thanks eveyone!! I "re" found a site I use to look at about biotope tanks and am looking over the Lake Malawi tank set up. It says basically the only plants on the market for a "true" Lake Malawi set up would be Vals...but that anubias and java fern can be used if you are willing to "bend" the rules (I am a rule bender LMAO)...do you know if either of those could do the "floating with roots hanging" look?
Then I have the concern of drift wood...I love the look of it and want to use a piece I have, but I read I shouldn't?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store